Question

DEFINE ANNOTATION TEXT TO AREA GEOMETRY

• 11 June 2013
  • 3 replies

Hi ALL,

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO COPY THE TEXT STRING ATTRIBUTE FROM TEXT FME TYPE AND ATTACH IT TO OTHER FME GEOMETRY SUCH AS POLYGON OR POLYLINE?IF YOU WONDER THE ANNOTATION ATTRIBUTE SAVED IN fme_text_string INSIDE fme_text. IF I WANT TO COPY THE ATTRIBUTE VALUES AVAILABLE IN fme_text_string FROM fme_text TO OTHER FME TYPE LIKE AREA OR LINE. FOR EXAMPLE, IN CAD, I HAVE COMBINE THE ANNOTATION TEXT (NAME OF ROAD) TOGETHER WITH FEATURE LAYER 'ROAD' AND THEN IN ARCGIS I WANT TO DEFINE THE ADDITIONAL ATTRIBUTE DATA THAT STORE THE NAME OF ROAD IN 'ROAD' LAYER. SO IF WANT TO SHOW THE NAME OF ROAD, I JUST TURN OFF THE LABELING IN THE LAYER PROPERTIES. IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I DO SO SETTLE MY PROBLEM?

THANKS FOR HELPING...

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

that depends on your data, but if you have a common attribute that links the geometries and the labels, I would use a FeatureMerger to transfer the fme_text_string onto the geometries and then rename it to something more suitable before writing the results.

David

PS: please consider not posting everything in upper case, it makes it more difficult to read and is considered a bit like shouting :-)

thanks David for your suggestion.

my data in CAD format (DWG). I want to convert it to GIS Shapefile.If you do not mind, please briefly teach me how to use FeatureMerger transformer? where to locate the transformer? I see there are quite difficult at these transfomer parameter setting. 

I have use GeometryFilter transformer to show the basis of the geometry of the reader feature type (CAD).
Userlevel 4
Hi,

the FeatureMerger is very well explained in the FME Desktop help, accessible from inside the Workbench by pressing F1. You can also find it online here.

If all else fails, I strongly recommend taking a course or to consider hiring a consultant to help you out:

David