Solved

Am I using FileCopy correctly?

• 8 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +10

I have a workbench that writes three mapinfo tables to a folder on one file server which I then want to filecopy the mapinfo tables to a folder on a different file server.

I think I've got it to work, but I wanted to confirm.

I use three FeatureWriters to write the mapinfo tables to a folder on the first file server. Then all three FeatureWriters go to a single FileCopy transformer.

The parameters for the FileCopy are;

Destination File Copy Folder = folder on first file server

filecopy_source_dataset = folder on first file server

filecopy_dest_dataset = folder on second file server

filecopy_dest_filename = <blank>

Is this correct?

I have the address of the first file server in twice, once for the Destination File Copy Folder and again for filecopy_dest_dataset. Do I really have to enter this twice?

filecopy_dest_filename is blank, which means I get a red arrow. But it runs anyway. Should I really leave this blank?

It all seems to work, but it feels like I have not configured it correctly

icon

Best answer by jdh 8 November 2019, 16:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

I don't think that you'll have to specify the "Destination file copy folder" at all, as far as I can tell from the documentation only the three filecopy_* attributes are actually used (filecopy_dest_filename is optional).

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/filecopy/filecopy.htm

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

I don't think that you'll have to specify the "Destination file copy folder" at all, as far as I can tell from the documentation only the three filecopy_* attributes are actually used (filecopy_dest_filename is optional).

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/filecopy/filecopy.htm

You have to have a value as a destination file copy folder but as far as i can tell this value isn't actually used/referenced at all, and can be set to 'x' or similar, it doesn't have to be a folder location.

Badge +22

The attribute filecopy_source_dataset is the only required attribute. You do need to put a value in the Destination File Copy Folder parameter, it may not be used, see below.

If present, the filecopy_dest_dataset overrides the value specified in the the Destination File Copy Folder parameter on the writer.

By default the filename of the output file is the same as the input filename, however if the filecopy_dest_filename is present, then it will rename the file to that value.
Badge +22

The attribute filecopy_source_dataset is the only required attribute. You do need to put a value in the Destination File Copy Folder parameter, it may not be used, see below.

If present, the filecopy_dest_dataset overrides the value specified in the the Destination File Copy Folder parameter on the writer.

By default the filename of the output file is the same as the input filename, however if the filecopy_dest_filename is present, then it will rename the file to that value.

So if you are copying all your files to the same output directory, then you can set

Destination File Copy Folder = folder on second server (where the files are written out)

filecopy_source_dataset = folder on first file server (location of original files)

and that's it. You can safely ignore the red arrows for the other two optional attributes.
Badge +22

So if you are copying all your files to the same output directory, then you can set

Destination File Copy Folder = folder on second server (where the files are written out)

filecopy_source_dataset = folder on first file server (location of original files)

and that's it. You can safely ignore the red arrows for the other two optional attributes.

If you have multiple output folders you can set

Destination File Copy Folder : NotUsed

filecopy_source_dataset = server 1

filecopy_dest_dataset = server2\\subfolder (where subfolder is different for each feature)