Question

Does double nested list attribution cause the list exploder to reject data?

• 11 July 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a list exploder that is rejecting data. It is the only list exploder failing and it's the only one with double nested lists (i.e. header{}.header{}.attribute). Is this type of list attribution handled by the list exploder or is there any other reason this transformer would be rejecting data?

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @proudgis, the ListExploder will not reject nested lists. Depending on your FME version, rejected features might have an attribute called "fme_rejection_code" which stores a string describing the reason for the rejection. Did you check this?

Badge

Thanks for the reply @takashi, I do have the 'fme_rejection_code' and the string upon failure is 'MISSING_PARAMETER_LIST'. I can't seem to figure out why this is occuring as this transformer is set-up just like other ListExploders before it.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the reply @takashi, I do have the 'fme_rejection_code' and the string upon failure is 'MISSING_PARAMETER_LIST'. I can't seem to figure out why this is occuring as this transformer is set-up just like other ListExploders before it.

Try inserting a breakpoint or an inspector just before the ListExploder and verify that the list really exists on your features when executing your workspace.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The rejection code appears when the feature does not have the list or the first element (i.e. index=0) of the list is missing. As David suggested, check whether the feature has the list (and it has the first element).

Badge

Perhaps that is the issue here, however how can I generate a dynamic FMW if sometimes the data is there and sometimes not?

Badge +22

Perhaps that is the issue here, however how can I generate a dynamic FMW if sometimes the data is there and sometimes not?

Use a tester prior to the list exploder to check for the existence of the list. If it's not there, what do you want to do with the feature, assign a default value and then continue processing or route it for special processing, or terminate the translation?

There are plenty of ways to deal with poor data, and the Tester is your best friend for checking cases and routing the features as appropriate.