Solved

How to mix 32 bit and 64 bit workspace execution

• 18 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

So, yes I've read about how to get FME 64 bit to run on a machine with 32 bit ArcGIS Desktop installed, but for ease of deployment on different user PCs that will only have the standard ArcGIS configuration, I've opted for 2 workspaces:

• One to run an extraction of source data with an ArcSDE Reader executing in FME 32 bit. This is due to the dependencies of FME on the bitness of the ArcGIS install
  • One to transform it by executing in FME 64 bit. The data model is very large and RAM intensive so needs to run in FME 64 bit.

FME 2018.1

The best solution I can think of it to BAT file this by calling the workspaces against the individual 32 bit and 64 bit FME executable file paths, because I don't think a conventional running them in a Parent workspace with 2 WorkspaceRunners can work, since you can't specify the bitness of the WorkspaceRunners and they would all have to execute as 32 bit or 64 bit inheritted from the Parent workspace mode, but not a mixture of both.

But, interested in any other solutions the great minds here might have up their sleeve!

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 18 December 2019, 10:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I would say go with the BAT file option, or use a SystemCaller from a master workspace to call a child workspace in a specific FME version (basically a glorified version of the batch file, as you're still calling a specific executable)

Badge +3

I would say go with the BAT file option, or use a SystemCaller from a master workspace to call a child workspace in a specific FME version (basically a glorified version of the batch file, as you're still calling a specific executable)

Thanks @redgeographics. Yep, that was the solution I was thinking of too: Calling BAT with SystemCaller. Maybe somewhat inelegant, but the best I can think of at the moment!

Badge +2

@bwm Just in case others find this article in a search:

The recommended solution would be to install the Esri 64bit Background Geoprocessing See the table in the section: Esri Formats Supported by my FME Version

Badge +3

@bwm Just in case others find this article in a search:

The recommended solution would be to install the Esri 64bit Background Geoprocessing See the table in the section: Esri Formats Supported by my FME Version

Thanks @markatsafe. Yes, I had found that article quite useful when I first started investigating, but had to shelve it for the moment since the 64 bit ESRI background geoprocessing module hasn't been packaged/made available for deployment in our organisation. It would be my ultimate goal though, might get an opportunity when our organisation starts to design their user deployment packages for ArcGIS 10.6.