Question

How to split section polygons into quarter sections

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

We have polygons that represents sections. We want to use FME to split all these polygons to subsections. i.e. quadrants. Any good ideas?

5 replies

Badge +8
Hi there.

Is there a reference point? Could you please share data?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
How should a concave polygon (e.g. L-shape) be handled? Or are the source polygons always convex like this?

Badge +4

Tiler. 2017+ Tiler has "Group By". You will need to make a custom transformer to do Tiler with a "Group By" if using FME 2016 or older. For your case, use Tiler with 2 Horizontal, 2 Vertical Tiles. As Takashi notes, there are some humanistic issues to manage with these splits. For example, you will need to know the projection that the sections were designed in and will probably need to reproject them to this prior to tiling.

Badge +2
Thank you @gisinnovationsb amd @takashi. I was communicating with the user who asked this question. The data is Sections and Quarter Sections in the Dominion Land Survey system in Canada. The challenge here was that in some coordinate system, the sections are not straight up, so Tiler doesn't split them in the right way. But response by @setld_solutions made me think of using coordinate system to help us here. So the customer is testing reproject the data to SPHERICAL_MERCATOR, then use a Tiler with group by. and will see if that produce good result.
Badge +8

Hi @XiaomengAtSafe,

As dicussed last week, I would duplicate the grid twice and move one copy East/West by half he size length and move the second one North/South by the same distance. I would then intersect all the lines, rebuild the polygon and clip it all with the outer boundary of the original grid. I guess the original grid is already projected. I believe the error would be negligible.

Please check this video:

https://youtu.be/acifrKCxW_I