Question

Issue with overlapping

• 17 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello. I have 2 shapefiles that I want to overlap.

The first one is already the output of overlapped one, but the _overlaps count is not always same. I need to intersect the second shapefile with the first one and take only the intersected part (attributes from first). I am trying area on area overlayer again, but since the _overlaps count vary, the output is not as per required. How else can it be done? Any ideas.

Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I'm not sure I completely follow you, but if you rename the _overlaps attribute from the first shapefile to something else (or specify a different overlaps attribute in the AreaOnAreaOverlayer) would that work for you?

Badge

I'm not sure I completely follow you, but if you rename the _overlaps attribute from the first shapefile to something else (or specify a different overlaps attribute in the AreaOnAreaOverlayer) would that work for you?

Hi @redgeographics. Seems like this works. Now, if I am having like 200k+ data, AoAo is taking a lot of time. Are there any simpler workarounds for this as well?

I tried using AttributeCreator with new attributes like _overlaps and ingested the value 1 but didn't work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi @redgeographics. Seems like this works. Now, if I am having like 200k+ data, AoAo is taking a lot of time. Are there any simpler workarounds for this as well?

I tried using AttributeCreator with new attributes like _overlaps and ingested the value 1 but didn't work.

If you have a lot of data it'll take a lot of time.

Is there any chance you can post some screenshots of your data and workspace so we get a better idea of what you're trying to do and can hopefully help you better?

Badge

If you have a lot of data it'll take a lot of time.

Is there any chance you can post some screenshots of your data and workspace so we get a better idea of what you're trying to do and can hopefully help you better?

This is a big picture of what I am trying to do.

One AoAo is overlapping self geometries(where overlaps count can differ) since I am extracting them from the SQL and the other AOAo is from the second reader. So, basically, what I want is to reduce the time taken by AoAo or some solution where all I get something unique from these overlaps.

Badge

This is a big picture of what I am trying to do.

One AoAo is overlapping self geometries(where overlaps count can differ) since I am extracting them from the SQL and the other AOAo is from the second reader. So, basically, what I want is to reduce the time taken by AoAo or some solution where all I get something unique from these overlaps.

@redgeographics Any bits of advice for this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

@redgeographics Any bits of advice for this?

Your screenshot is too small to read so it's not exactly clear what you're doing. You could try the Parallel Processing option on the AreaOnAreaOverlayer if you have a suitable attribute to group by, but there's no guarantee it will speed things up.

The SpatialFilter or SpatialRelator might be a viable approach but ultimately it all boils down to the same calculations.

Badge

Your screenshot is too small to read so it's not exactly clear what you're doing. You could try the Parallel Processing option on the AreaOnAreaOverlayer if you have a suitable attribute to group by, but there's no guarantee it will speed things up.

The SpatialFilter or SpatialRelator might be a viable approach but ultimately it all boils down to the same calculations.

Hi @redgeographics. I was trying to work on this independently but it didn't work well. I hope to get support from you. I have shared the zoomed part of AOAO(2 transformers) wherein it takes a lot of time to get the data through it. So, here, I am using AoAO for multiple overlapping regions but, I want all of them, and then renaming the attribute and then AoAO_2 is used so that I can get the overlapping regions from the other file. Since in the first AoAO I couldn't get all the geometry features because of some missing areas, I used AoAO_2. I hope I am able to explain to you. Thanks. Your inputs are indeed valuable.