Question

Parsing All Inputs/Outputs from Workbench Metadata Reader

• 27 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

So in the hopes of better managing the scheduling of FME jobs and while dreaming of creating a dataflow diagram for all my FME pipes, I've started mapping out all data sources and data targets across all my workspaces.

I had high hopes for the Workspace Reader because it offers a ton of meta data. But even after trimming down and flattening some of the data to get only Source, Target, Workbench Name, Dataset etc., I realize this only documents proper readers and writers and NOT any SQL Creators/Executors... or am I missing something?

On another note, has anyone, has Safe, built something usable that does this? A workbench I can point at a collection of workbenches to parse out ALL source/target databases ? Any suggestions or redirects appreciated.

4 replies

Userlevel 4

The SQLCreator / SQLExecutors, as well as FeatureReader / FeatureWriter are not classified as readers/writers, but as regular transformers, and can be found in the the feature types "Transformers" and its associated tables, e.g. "TransformerParameters"

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Don't forget the SchemaMapper, DatabaseJoiner, DatabaseDeleter and DatabaseUpdater as transformers that could be considered to be "reader or writer"

And I'm probably forgetting some still :)

Userlevel 4

Don't forget the SchemaMapper, DatabaseJoiner, DatabaseDeleter and DatabaseUpdater as transformers that could be considered to be "reader or writer"

Exactly. And then what about the HTTPCaller? FTPCaller? GoogleDriveConnector? S3Connector? Et cetera :-)

Badge

@redgeographics, @david_r - Okay, guys, I wasn't really looking for a complete list of pseudo-readers and writers. If it sounded like that, then my apologies. Clearly, I'm aware that FME reads all kinds of data sources. I'm really just concerned with RDBMS sources and targets, inputs and outputs. So David's addition of the FeatureReader and FeatureWriter is a very valid, and looking for the in/out info for those and the SQL Transformers under the transformer metadata is what I should've come up with myself!