Question

Can I generate polygons from a point based dataset

• 3 January 2017
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

I have a layer that contains both polygon and point features that represent individual and groups of high risk trees, I would like to convert all the features contained within the layer into polygons. I thought about generating a small buffer (2m) for each point and then disolving the individual features with there retrosoective buffer feature in order to link required attribute data.

Is there an eaxy way I can achieve this with FME?

3 replies

Badge

Hi there, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you can achieve this using the Geometry Filter (to filter the points), then Bufferer and then the Dissolver. If you need something more advanced, please clarify.

Badge +7

Hi there, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you can achieve this using the Geometry Filter (to filter the points), then Bufferer and then the Dissolver. If you need something more advanced, please clarify.

A concave hull (using the HullAccumulator) might be another alternative?
Userlevel 4

I agree about the HullAccumulator, or HullReplacer if it's an aggregate point geometry.

Another option could be to use the PointConnector followed by a LineCloser, just be aware that you'll need to sort the incoming order of the points first (Sorter).