Question

Point on multiple raster value extraction

• 31 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have a shapefile of points and 103 rasters.

I wanna overlay the points on the 103 rasters and extract the values to attributes.

The final aimed result is the shapefile containing 103 additionnal attributes with extracted values, I want also that attributes have the same names as the rasters. Is there any way to do this batch process ?

I tried to load all the rasters into the PointOnRasterOverlayer but it seems that it connot do a batch process but work only on a single raster at once.

Thank you very much.

5 replies

Badge +16

Yes one raster is allowed per group, I would use the cloner on the points and form separate groups, each one containing a point feature and a raster, to use in the overlay with the group by setting.

Then rename the raster list attributes for each group to the raster name, drop the point geometry and merge all the attributes back to the original point features.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Badge +3

@lianaolianov

I would, depending on the number of objects/rasters , use a RasterExtentsCoercer.

Then a spatial relator between the points and the extents.

This also creates groups, only now you use only the requitred objects.

Now do a PointOnRasterValueExtractor (the current name for PointOnRasterOverlayer).

This is faster when you have a significant amount of objects and rasters, also saves some memory/swap(especially when the rasters are large, cloning large rasters is a lot of large rasters...is more time spent)

Badge +22

Assuming the rasters have the same extents and resolution, I would use a RasterBandCombiner to combine all the rasters into 1, and then use the PointOnRasterValueExtractor.

Yes one raster is allowed per group, I would use the cloner on the points and form separate groups, each one containing a point feature and a raster, to use in the overlay with the group by setting.

Then rename the raster list attributes for each group to the raster name, drop the point geometry and merge all the attributes back to the original point features.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Would you be able to explain this more or make a sample workbench for visual guide?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Would you be able to explain this more or make a sample workbench for visual guide?

Hi @fme_noob - I took this as my "question of the week" and made a post about it here: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/108075/question-of-the-week-point-on-multiple-raster-valu.html

I hope it's useful.

I will just say in future it might be best to post a new question, for something like this, because sometimes we don't often see new comments when they appear in an existing question.