Question

How to convert xyzi file into a las

• 26 June 2019
  • 1 reply

I am trying to LiDAR use data provided by the NYS Clearing House to improve a digital terrain model and to do so need to turn a xyzi file into a las. I can even open the xyzi file in arcmap or in qgis. Let me know if you know.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @jmb827. Off the bat, I would try using the Point Cloud XYZ Reader as shown in the last section of the Reading Point Clouds tutorial, where we demonstrate reading in an .xyz file containing an Intensity attribute.

Though I've never worked with an .xyzi dataset before, I understand it's an ASCII format... so I'm hoping that it will be read in a similar manner as shown in the tutorial mentioned above.

If you can't get it to work, point us to a particular dataset on the NYS Clearing House and I can try reading it in (I see they have several datasets on their FTP, ftp.gis.ny.gov, but I can't locate an xyzi file).

If you are new to using FME to transform point clouds, check out the rest of the Getting Started with Point Clouds tutorial series. The third part, Writing Point Clouds, demonstrates how to write to a LAS format from an xyz file that contains the Intensity component. I hope this helps.