Question

Add Attributes to AutoCAD Block after creating block by aggregate some graphics with FME Aggregator

• 17 August 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi FME Team

I have a MicroStation dgn-File with sewer-manhole drawn by two circles and I would like to first combine these two circles to an block. This works perfectly with the aggregator function in FME. Afterwards I would like to add some attributes to this block (eg. the dimension of the sewer-manhole).

I tried the "attribute creator". This works fine within FME - but when I export the block to AutoCAD I have lost the attributes.

It would bi great if someone has an idea how to fix the problem.

... and if someone knows a way to change the name of the block (created with the aggregator function) you made my day :-)

Kind regards

Dominik

5 replies

Badge +2

Not sure you can create a true block with a aggregator. Blocks need to exist in the template file with the correct attributes defined. Then reference this template in the writer parameters and set the correct block name for a symbol with DWGStyler.

Badge +9

@dominikI know if you change the setting in the parameters of the AutoCAD to extended entity data that will retain the attributes. I am not 100% familiar on how you get these to display in AutoCAD though as I'm not a user!

Badge +2
interesting ?

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1178/microstation-cells-to-autocad-blocks.html

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/38903/tutorial-autocad-workflows.html

Badge +2

Example attached in file to open in FME Workbench. This uses a DWG as Writer template file from FME Training data.

simpleautocadblock.fmwt

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @dominik

Check out the attached workflow which should do the trick: schema-automatic-dev-attribinfo.fmw

Important factors are as follows:

IIMPORTANT: There is currently a bug in 2017.1 and 2017.0 which prevents this workspace from being run in 64 bit FME so you will have to run this in 32 bit. It should be fixed in the 2018 beta.

Run it and check out the results! Hopefully you can adapt this to your workflow.