Solved

PointOnPoint Overlayer

Badge

Hello,

I'm using the PointOnPoint Overlayer to find if any points overlap. When I use the transformer and let the workbench run, I get an attribute value of _overlap: 72, for each individual point. None of the points overlap (see attached picture). I thought I would get an overlap value of 1 because the points do not overlap. Is there a reason why each point is getting an overlap of 72?

*the total number of points in the file is 72*

Thanks!

David
icon

Best answer by davideagle 25 June 2018, 16:55

View original

3 replies

Badge +14

I wonder if you've over-cooked your 'Point Tolerance' parameter? If you set it too large, i.e 100 for 72 points that are clustered within say a 50 meter radius of each other, you'll have 72 overlaps. Try setting the tollerance to say a value of 0 for exact overlaps or 1 for overlaps within 1 meter*.

* Assumes of course your data is in a native Meter based coordinate reference system (CRS). Otherwise, replace with Feet or Degrees!

Badge

I wonder if you've over-cooked your 'Point Tolerance' parameter? If you set it too large, i.e 100 for 72 points that are clustered within say a 50 meter radius of each other, you'll have 72 overlaps. Try setting the tollerance to say a value of 0 for exact overlaps or 1 for overlaps within 1 meter*.

* Assumes of course your data is in a native Meter based coordinate reference system (CRS). Otherwise, replace with Feet or Degrees!

Hi @1spatialdave,

The point tolerance is set to .1 meters. I will try setting it to 0 and see what happens.

Thanks!

Badge

I adjusted the tolerance to 0 and I received values that I was more expecting. It's weird that with a tolerance set to .1, I was receiving much different results. Thanks for the help!