Question

Joining polygons to Excel records

• 27 September 2016
  • 5 replies

I have a polygon with the ID and want to joint the the ID with the Excel File that contain the same ID..How to joint the both table?

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi @azhar,

Create two separate readers that read in both the polygons and the shape file and send the polygons to the Requestor port of the FeatureMerger. The features from the excell file should be sent to the Suppliers port.

Afterwards go to the settings of the FeatureMerger and select the attribute containing the id for both the Requestor and the Supplier. Doing so will make sure the attributes that are not yet available for the polygons are linked.

For more specific information, take a look at the documentation of the FeatureMerger.

Good luck!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The other way would be a Joiner transformer. Then you don't even need to have a separate reader for the Excel data

Badge +1

The other way would be a Joiner transformer. Then you don't even need to have a separate reader for the Excel data

Is there a specific reason why you suggest the joiner transformer in this case @Mark2AtSafe? I often prefer the featuremerger over the joiner because of its readability/ease of use and I wonder in which cases the joiner might be of added value.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Is there a specific reason why you suggest the joiner transformer in this case @Mark2AtSafe? I often prefer the featuremerger over the joiner because of its readability/ease of use and I wonder in which cases the joiner might be of added value.

Hi @kd - I actually wrote a blog post about this because it's such a common question. Basically the Joiner is best when you are only matching a subset of records. When you are matching all records then either one is fine. You want to try avoid reading too much data into memory, and that's a problem that the FeatureMerger can suffer from. In this scenario - it being Excel - I doubt there is much difference, but it does avoid having to read the data, which I like.

Badge +1
Hi @kd - I actually wrote a blog post about this because it's such a common question. Basically the Joiner is best when you are only matching a subset of records. When you are matching all records then either one is fine. You want to try avoid reading too much data into memory, and that's a problem that the FeatureMerger can suffer from. In this scenario - it being Excel - I doubt there is much difference, but it does avoid having to read the data, which I like.

Thanks for the clear explanation @Mark2AtSafe. FME does tend to get slower when a lot of data is read into memory. I'll make sure to take a look at the joiner transformer whenever I want to optimize my memory usage.