Question

Mapinfo styling

• 20 November 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
I'm hoping that somebody out there can help me because this is driving me nuts!

I am reading in a Mapinfo file using an MFAL reader, I'm then using a simple attribute filter to identify  groups of objects (based on a feature code), I'm then using an attribute creator to create the Mapinfo styling using the following attributes;
  • mapinfo_brush_background
  • mapinfo_brush_foreground
  • mapinfo_brush_pattern
  • mapinfo_brush_transparent
  • mapinfo_pen_color
  • mapinfo_pen_pattern
  • mapinfo_pen_width
Finally I'm writing this to a Mapinfo file using an MFAL writer.

Seems easy enough?  The mapinfo_brush styles are applying no problem but I want my polygons to have no border line style so I have been setting the mapinfo_pen_pattern to 1 which should be no pattern.  Whatever I try the pattern keeps getting reset to 2 (which is a solid line).

I've tried various combinations of exposing the format attributes on the reader and the writer, I've tried an attribute remover followed by an attribute creator, I've tried not setting the pen_pattern at all but in every instance it keeps coming out as 2 (which is what it is set to in the source file).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Darren

5 replies

Badge +1
Update:

I can appear to set the pen_pattern to any other valid line style with this displaying correctly in Mapinfo.  I can even set the value to 0 and whilst this is retained it still displays in Mapinfo with a solid line even though it shows within the Region Style box as having no style (not even the style of 'None' which is what I am after).
Userlevel 4
Hi,

it would be interesting to know if this is reproducible with the MITAB writer as well. Apparantly there are some issues with the MFAL writer, see here for details.

David
Userlevel 1
Badge +21
Sounds like it could be the issue mentioned here

https://safe.secure.force.com/AnswersQuestionDetail?id=906a0000000cj3TAAQ
Userlevel 1
Badge +21
I've just recreated it, if you expose fme_color, remove fme_color and mapinfo_pen_pattern attributes and set to pen_pattern to 1 you get no outside lines. If you don't remove fme_color the lines remain.
Badge +1
Hi everybody, many thanks for the responses.  I have tried exposing and removing the fme_color attribute and everything now appears to be working as expected.

I hope that Safe can fix this issue and maybe even get the MapInfoStyler transformer to behave at the same time.