Question

Create leaders in AutoCAD?

• 30 January 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge
I need to create leader line annotation in AutoCAD, including the filled arrow and box around the text. I have the arrow end coordinates, the text end coordinates, the width of the multi-line text I would like to use, as well as the font and text height.

How can I do this using FME Desktop?

5 replies

Badge +3
creating arrow graphics can be done in a number of ways.

Most easy is just entering coordinates.

More control would be entering it functionaly.

Textbox can be approximateed using bounding box. Some correction will be need depending on font.

Leading line can be created with vertexcreator, one in Replace mode and other in Add mode.

You can move to location and rotate arrowhead (ussing 2Daffiners and or rotator). Scaler could also be used to control its size and shape (wich also can be done with affiner) Affiner requires some basic map (or just look for transformmatrices on ie. wikimath...)

I assume u need fme automation, else you could just create them in ACAD itself.
Badge
Yes, I need automation. I am dumping the information from Oracle to create lots of CAD drawings of individual manholes for comm contractors.

Essentially, I am already creating the leader line, mtext block, etc. BUT - I really would like to make a leader "object" that has it all tied together. It is much cleaner for the people on the reciving end to then markup as required.

From what I can tell, the functionality to create leaders was added to 2014, but I have yet to find any documentation or examples on how to actually make use of it.

Bryan
Badge
For example... on the what's great for FME 2014 - http://blog.safe.com/2014/01/whats-great-2014-fme-desktop/

Updated format readers/writers

Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF and RealDWG reader/writers

-> Added leader entity writing support.

How? I can't find anything discussing how that works.

I'll write up a HOW-TO with examples if someone will clue me into how to use that newish feature.
Badge +3
The format attributes required to do so are exposable on the writer.

Look at them in the dwg writer and expose them, you can set their values (by creating attributes with the same names) and write it to your dwg.

If you open a drawing with arrowheads and leaders in datainspector, you can study these attributes in the navigator panel. I think you may want to create a block "arrowhead" beforehand(?)

Also very usefull is the fme readers and writers in the documentation section (menu item next to änswers") section on autocad:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop_Help.htm#../Subsystems/FME_Readers_Writers/Content/Welcome/Welcome2.htm

Badge
Gio,

Thanks for that - I have revese engineered almost all of it, but am stuck on the mtext box. I can't seem to find the keyword to create that.

I created a simple example showing this. I probably am using more autocad_* keywords than necessary, but as it is it works except for the box. And that - even if I just created one to go around the text - is very hard to do, especially if it is to be set to the maximum text width / height plus a buffer due to variable width font.

Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mIbz4pHMpjaHlscGl1R1dzaWc/view?usp=sharing

Bryan