Solved

Project .obj to real world space

• 27 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, I have a .obj file and a geotiff file, the .obj file is in xy space and the geotiff file is in UTM-48N projection. I am looking for a way to "align" and reproject the .obj file. Is there a way to reproject the .obj file to geospatial coordinates?

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 1 May 2020, 00:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @weicong96,

Are you planning to write the result back out to OBJ? Unfortunately our OBJ writer does not have coordinate system support (OBJ Quick Facts), so please keep that in mind if the target output is still OBJ.

Getting your file into real world coordinates may take some fiddling. I'd suggest starting with whether FME reads any coordinate system in (in the Feature Information Window). Turn on the background maps to see where it shows up, and if it it's nowhere, you could try setting a local coordinate system and reprojecting to UTM-48N. From there, transformers such as the AffineWarper if you know the exact transformation you need, or the Offsetter, Scaler, and Rotator, may be helpful for your needs. There's a blog post by Paul here, that offers some more insight on bringing non spatial data into the real world that may be helpful to take a look through for more ideas.

Thanks, I managed to work this out by figuring out that the software produces the .obj has an accompanying .xyz file which i use it with offsetter in a UTM projection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Thanks, I managed to work this out by figuring out that the software produces the .obj has an accompanying .xyz file which i use it with offsetter in a UTM projection.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear that you got it working!