Question

Having trouble passing user parameter multi-attribute to transformers with attributes to select

• 14 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, everyone, I tried to create user parameter select multi-attribute in some transformers like AttributeKeeper/Remover, but it won't work. I've tried with type "Text", "Attribute List (comma delimited)" and "Attribute List (space delimited)", it will only work when input only one atrribute.

For example, I'd like to keep attribute "NAME" and "ADDRESS", when I type "NAME,ADDRESS", I get no atrributes left in Inspector which show no schema, it seems that the transformer treated it as one attribute not two atrribute split by comma.

How can I make it happen? I'm using FME 2020.

3 replies

Badge +2

Hi @bobo,

Thanks for reporting this. I did some testing and it looks like this isn't behaving quite as I would expect. I was able to reproduce the same behavior that you reported where the AttributeKeeper does not keep the selected attributes exposed in the table. Fortunately, the attributes still exist on the feature but they are not exposed so they can still be written out dynamically or manually exposed.

AttributeKeeper:

AttributeRemover:

On other parameters like the Aggregator's Attributes to Concatenate, this works as expected.

I have reported this to our team and will update this post as soon as it has been resolved. If you would also like to be notified via email, please submit a case and reference: FMEDESKTOP-10155

Hi @bobo,

Thanks for reporting this. I did some testing and it looks like this isn't behaving quite as I would expect. I was able to reproduce the same behavior that you reported where the AttributeKeeper does not keep the selected attributes exposed in the table. Fortunately, the attributes still exist on the feature but they are not exposed so they can still be written out dynamically or manually exposed.

AttributeKeeper:

AttributeRemover:

On other parameters like the Aggregator's Attributes to Concatenate, this works as expected.

I have reported this to our team and will update this post as soon as it has been resolved. If you would also like to be notified via email, please submit a case and reference: FMEDESKTOP-10155

Hi!

Just wondering: Has this bug been fixed? I'm trying to build a workspace where the user enters the Attribute which he/she wants to keep. I can do it with an AttributeCopier and AttributeKeeper but I would rather use just an AttributeKeeper with a user parameter of type "Text".

I'm using FME 2020.1.3.0 Build 20632.

Badge +2

Hi!

Just wondering: Has this bug been fixed? I'm trying to build a workspace where the user enters the Attribute which he/she wants to keep. I can do it with an AttributeCopier and AttributeKeeper but I would rather use just an AttributeKeeper with a user parameter of type "Text".

I'm using FME 2020.1.3.0 Build 20632.

Hi @-1775942303​ ,

Unfortunately this has not yet been marked as resolved in our system. However, one of my colleagues has provided an explanation for this behaviour.

There is the concept of authoring time attributes and run time attributes. Workbench knows only about the authoring time ones (ie. the ones that have been ‘exposed’ to it). It will not know about the ones that happen at run time, so it is important to know that the values on a prompt and run that are not saving being saved as default will not be reflected in the Workspace.

What can happen though is the ‘default’ value for the published parameter can be honored by the Workspace.

Unfortunately there are no other updates at the moment but I will be sure to update this thread as soon as the status changes on the reported issue.