Question

Unable to connect to FME Server through Workbench after FME Server Upgrade

Badge +6

I have just upgraded (in-place, express install) FME Server 2019 Upgrade. I am able to log in with my AD Creds to get to the FME Server GUI, but when connecting to FME Server through Workbench I am unable to log in.

8 replies

Userlevel 4

Can you please supply us with some screenshots and/or log messages for more detail. Also, are you using a proxy server?

Badge +6

No proxy server. Log file in Workbench states:

Connecting to 'http://fme.(our domain).gov' (web connection, Windows session credentials)...

Unable to obtain Windows session credentials for Kerberos authentication; ensure that FME Server and the Windows domain are correctly configured for single sign-on.

Login failed (Not Authenticated) - Ensure that credentials are correct, and that user has sufficient privileges.

Updating access token for 'FME Server'

Request to update access token failed. HTTP Error: HTTP/1.1 404 - http://fme.(our domain).gov/fmeserver/fmetoken/generate.json?

Badge +2

Hi @sashalockamy

• Can you re-authenticate your Web Connection to FME Server? If you edit your web connection you can test with the authenticate button.
  • Since you've done an upgrade - is the hostname correct in the web connection? What if you try with an IP address?
  • Can you connect to the FME Server Web Interface in a browser from the machine that you are using workbench on?
  • Have you configured your FME Server for Single Sign On?
  • Can you create a web connection using an FME Server account rather than an AD account and confirm if that works?

Taken from: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/60776/fme-server-troubleshooting-connecting-to-fme-serve.html
Badge +6

@jlutherthomas, please find response to your questions below:

• Question: Can you re-authenticate your Web Connection to FME Server? If you edit your web connection you can test with the authenticate button.
    • Answer: I tried to add and edit web connection for FME Server from workbench. There is no "test button"
  • Question: Since you've done an upgrade - is the hostname correct in the web connection? What if you try with an IP address?
    • Answer: Yes, I have tried to connect with IP address and receive the same error.
  • Question: Can you connect to the FME Server Web Interface in a browser from the machine that you are using workbench on?
    • Answer: Yes, I can connect successfully to the FME Server Web Interface with my AD/Windows Creds on same machine.
  • Question: Have you configured your FME Server for Single Sign On?
    • Answer: Yes, I did this in prior installation. Is it possible that these configurations were lost in the upgrade?
  • Question: Can you create a web connection using an FME Server account rather than an AD account and confirm if that works?
    • Answer: No, the FME Server account cannot connect either.
Badge +2

@jlutherthomas, please find response to your questions below:

• Question: Can you re-authenticate your Web Connection to FME Server? If you edit your web connection you can test with the authenticate button.
    • Answer: I tried to add and edit web connection for FME Server from workbench. There is no "test button"
  • Question: Since you've done an upgrade - is the hostname correct in the web connection? What if you try with an IP address?
    • Answer: Yes, I have tried to connect with IP address and receive the same error.
  • Question: Can you connect to the FME Server Web Interface in a browser from the machine that you are using workbench on?
    • Answer: Yes, I can connect successfully to the FME Server Web Interface with my AD/Windows Creds on same machine.
  • Question: Have you configured your FME Server for Single Sign On?
    • Answer: Yes, I did this in prior installation. Is it possible that these configurations were lost in the upgrade?
  • Question: Can you create a web connection using an FME Server account rather than an AD account and confirm if that works?
    • Answer: No, the FME Server account cannot connect either.

@sashalockamy

- Does the FME Server account give the same error as the AD/SSO account?

- I would definitely recommend going through the steps to configure SSO/IWA on your new install to double check everything is set up correctly. Active Directory configs would get migrated, but any parts of the process where you're editing config files wouldn't. Like step 4 in this doc: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/IWA.htm?Highlight=single%20sign%20on

- The fact that the FME Server account doesn't connect is strange. Are you connecting to FME Server from the same version of Workbench?

- Can you upload your FME Server log file? This would be in Resources > Log Files > Core > Current.
Badge +6

@jlutherthomas will you please email me off of this thread so I can share my log file via email?

Badge +2

@jlutherthomas will you please email me off of this thread so I can share my log file via email?

Can you raise a support ticket here? https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/

Then you should be able to upload the log files there and someone from the team can help you out.
Badge +6

@jlutherthomas I have entered a support ticket and hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks!