Question

Is it possible to convert an i.dgn (i-model) to a GIS .shp in FME?

• 4 September 2019
  • 2 replies

I am looking to convert an i.model (i.dgn) in a SnakeGrid format to a GIS .shp in British National Grid, using FME Desktop 2018. I have the relevant .dat file for the projection but am unsure how FME handles i.dgn files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @olivia2wd. Though I've never worked with the i-model format or SnakeGrid, let's see if we get you started.

Reading in your i.dgn: I see that the Bentley i-model Interchange Format Reader was in "Tech Preview" in FME 2018.x and released in FME 2019.x. See if you can add the i-model Reader to your workspace in FME 2018.

SnakeGrid to British National Grid: I found the SnakeGridProjector custom transformer developed by Snakegrid on FME Hub. It seems like you will need to purchase a license from SnakeGrid prior to using the SnakeGridProjector in FME. There's a helpful YouTube video on the SnakeGrid website demonstrating how to use the SnakeGridProjector in FME to convert a dataset into British National Grid using a .dat file.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any luck.

Thank you for your response @nampreetatsafe

I have tried reading in the i.dgn using the Tech Preview but it looks like various elements are unsupported. Unfortunately, I don't have 2019 to test:

Regarding SnakeGrid, you are absolutely right. It is developed by UCL. You purchase a license for the SnakeGrid transformer from them, and then use the relevant SnakeGrid parameter file (.dat) for the conversion.