Question

What is the FME equivalent to Dissolve (found in ModelBuilder)?

Badge +4
I have a geodatabase with multiple feature classes in it. Trying to dissolve all the polygons in that feature class into one polygon.

The polygons are spread out across a region for each feature class, so they would need to be multi-part polygons I'm assuming.

ArcMap's ModelBuilder will dissolve these polygons into a single, multi-part feature. How can I get FME to do this same thing? I have reviewed the Dissolver and FeatureMerger transformers without any luck.

5 replies

Badge +4
Edit: "trying to dissolve all the polygons in each feature class into one polygon." In other words, one polygon for each feature class. Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

To make a single-part polygon by dissolving areas which touch or overlap each other, use the Dissolver.

To make a multi-part polygon by aggregating areas regardless of spatial relationships, use the Aggregator.

See the help docs to learn more.

Anyway, to perform the transformation for each feature class, try setting a format attribute called "fme_feature_type" (it stores feature class name) to the "Group By" parameter of the transformer. See the "Format Attributes" tab in the reader feature type properties dialog. You can expose the attribute there.

Takashi
Badge +4
Ok so I'll use the Aggregator. So I set the format attribute "fme_feature_type" to the Group By parameter on the Aggregator? Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
yup, try setting "fme_feature_type" to the "Group By" parameter, if you need to aggregate the input features for each feature class.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
If you are using FME 2015.1, you can set the attribute holding the company name to "Feature Class or Table Name" in the GDB writer feature type. This setting is equivalent to the "Fanout By Attribute" in FME 2015.0 and earlier. See also this article in Safe blog.

The Feature Types They Are a-Changin’ (http://blog.safe.com/2015/04/fmeevangelist132/)