Solved

creating parameters that are universal and on all workbenches

• 2 December 2015
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Is it possible to make user parameters some way into workspace parameters so each workbench I create I don't have to re-create the same parameter. I can just grab them and go. (ex Database log in parameters).

I create drop down choice multiple parameters sopeople can just select what they want in FME server.

I want to know if I can make these universal so I dont have to create new ones on each work bench

icon

Best answer by erik_jan 2 December 2015, 22:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

In FME 2015 Named connections are introduced.

They allow you to store database connections in a file and select them by name.

This file can be distributed.

Badge

In FME 2015 Named connections are introduced.

They allow you to store database connections in a file and select them by name.

This file can be distributed.

OK, but I have multiple choice parameters for all database connections so I go between different datasets. Doesnt that only work for a single connection to a database. not allowing for a drop down list when the workbench is uploaded to fme server?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

OK, but I have multiple choice parameters for all database connections so I go between different datasets. Doesnt that only work for a single connection to a database. not allowing for a drop down list when the workbench is uploaded to fme server?

What you can do is create a choice parameter with the needed database connections. These connections have to be in the connections files.

And the link the database connection parameter to the created list.

That can be done for the Readers, Writers and Transformers using the database connection.

So you will only need 1 drop down list if your Reader and Writer are not different databases.

Userlevel 4

For reference, here is a small trick/workaround I often use to copy/paste parameters between workspaces:

• In the source workspace, insert a ParameterFetcher
  • Populate the ParameterFetcher with the parameters you want to copy
  • Copy/Paste the ParameterFetcher into the target workspace
  • The private/published parameters mentioned in the ParameterFetcher have now been copied

David