Solved

2D lines to 3D Features

• 31 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to convert 2D Lines to 3D Features. I am not looking though to add Height value, what I want to do is take a line and based on an attribute value (diameter: 250mm for example) create a 3D cylindrical version of it.

Then I will add elevation values using the 3D Forcer, that I am aware of.

I have taken a look at 3D Forcer/Interpolator, SurfaceDraper, etc. but I do not believe they do the trick.

Could you please point me to a direction?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

George Floros

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 31 January 2019, 20:11

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Have you looked at the extruder?

Badge

Have you looked at the extruder?

Hello @egomm,

Edited: I am looking to create a cylindrical feature based on specific values from 2D lines. I had tried the extruder, but it just gave me a height. Sorry, should have clarified.

Thank you,

George Floros

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @georgefloros,

The Bufferer transformer has a 3D option that allows you to build a cylindrical feature around a line.

The Hub3DBufferer custom transformer gives you more options, and is a lot quicker in the Fast Surface mode.

Badge

Hi @georgefloros,

The Bufferer transformer has a 3D option that allows you to build a cylindrical feature around a line.

The Hub3DBufferer custom transformer gives you more options, and is a lot quicker in the Fast Surface mode.

Hello @DaveAtSafe,

I actually had the same epiphany. Bufferer does the trick and thank you for the advice!!
Badge

Hi @georgefloros,

Hello @daveatsafe

While bufferer oes the trick is quite slow.

I tried Hub3DBufferer and I get the following error:

Hub3DBufferer_Chopper(ChoppingFactory): Chopper encountered unsupported geometry, outputting as untouched

Input is FGDB lines.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

George Floros

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @daveatsafe

While bufferer oes the trick is quite slow.

I tried Hub3DBufferer and I get the following error:

Hub3DBufferer_Chopper(ChoppingFactory): Chopper encountered unsupported geometry, outputting as untouched

Input is FGDB lines.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

George Floros

Hi @georgefloros,

It's possible that the FGDB source lines contain arcs. Please send them through an ArcStroker, then GeometryRefiner to simplify the lines to be compatible with the Hub3DBufferer.