Question

Dynamic writer not able to write to arcgis dataset

• 27 February 2018
  • 2 replies

I'm trying to Dynamic writer to a dataset within an arcgis gdb. I set my fme_feature_type to dataset/fuse but it will create a fc at the root directory named dataset_fuse. I then discovered there is a "feature Dataset" field to fill in ...and i did with dataset

Then it does create a file named dataset_fuse within the dataset. But it doesn't use my schema.

if i alter my fme_feature_type to just fuse then it says it can't find the schema and doesn't write.

this is my gdb setup:

arcgis.fgdb

dataset

fuse

thank you

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @avineon, "fme_feature_type" stores the source feature type name and FME will treat it as a Schema Definition Name (identifier of the schema configuration in the source feature type). You therefore should not modify the value of "fme_feature_type", if you intend to configure the destination schema according to the source schema dynamically.

If your requirements were:

• write the features into a destination feature class named "dataset_fuse",
  • apply the schema derived from the source feature type to the "dataset_fuse" class,

try configuring the dynamic writer feature type as below. Here, assuming that the source dataset contains only a single feature type. Do not change the value of "fme_feature_type" which is retrieved from the source dataset.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @avineon, "fme_feature_type" stores the source feature type name and FME will treat it as a Schema Definition Name (identifier of the schema configuration in the source feature type). You therefore should not modify the value of "fme_feature_type", if you intend to configure the destination schema according to the source schema dynamically.

If your requirements were:

• write the features into a destination feature class named "dataset_fuse",
  • apply the schema derived from the source feature type to the "dataset_fuse" class,

try configuring the dynamic writer feature type as below. Here, assuming that the source dataset contains only a single feature type. Do not change the value of "fme_feature_type" which is retrieved from the source dataset.

If you want to create a new "Feature Dataset" named "dataset", set another parameter in the writer feature type, like this.

Note: You have to use GEODATABASE_FILE writer to create a new feature dataset. The FILEGDB (File Geodb Open API) writer doesn't seem to support creating feature dataset.