Question

Directory watch for new files

Badge

Is it possible to setup the directory watch to monitor a network location for new files being added and email an individual anytime a new file is added to the newtwork location

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Short answer: yes

The Directory Watch tutorial should give you some pointers on how to set this up. However, you probably should consider this carefully, if a lot of files get added in a short amount of time you don't want every file to trigger the workspace and send an email.

An alternative idea is to create a workspace that creates a file listing (using the file pathname reader), compares it to a stored version, compiles the added files to a single list and puts that in an email, then update the stored list.

Hope this helps.

Badge

I have looked at the directory watch tutorial, I am confused on where to enter my network location

Badge

another question related to this, is it possible to watch the network for files created over a specific size and notify the system admin of those?

Badge +22

Yes, though if you're using FMEServer 2015, it's very unstable. I'm told that Safe was actively working to improve this for 2016, but i have not yet been notified that any of my cases were closed. (PR#67765)

To clarify, it's unstable when dealing with UNC paths, particularly when monitoring subdirectories.

Userlevel 4

I have looked at the directory watch tutorial, I am confused on where to enter my network location

You specify the directory when you create the publication on FME Server.

Userlevel 4

another question related to this, is it possible to watch the network for files created over a specific size and notify the system admin of those?

Yes, you can do that in your workspace that is triggered by the deposited file.

Check the incoming JSON that is sent to your workspace textline reader, you will find the filename there and can then use a FeatureReader with the "Directory and File Pathnames" format to get the file size etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Instead of browsing for a location, what the tutorial suggests, you can also specify a network path. However, if you also want file size to work with you're probably better off using the pathname reader

Badge

thanks for the responses, I'll let you know what I come up with. My experience with FME server is fairly limited, just publishing a work bench and setting a scheduled work space.

Any specific examples that might be available for sharing would be awesome.

Thanks

Dan

Badge +3

or use tcl glob commands and query results.