Question

FME Weekly Quiz: Can you outscore Shelley Schoen (February 2020-2)

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FME'ers,

Well, last week didn't go too well for you! Let's see if you have more success this week. This time I've gone back to our developers to find a candidate for you to take on. Today you're competing against Shelley Schoen.

Shelley is a senior developer with our Desktop Authoring team. As you might expect, that means she is heavily involved in the design of Workbench and implementing new and improved functionality.

For example, when you click a drop-down arrow and see the Text Editor and Arithmetic Editor windows, that was Shelley's idea and design (I believe our French partners even called it "Paramétrage de Shelley"). Shelley was also responsible for implementing how the colour of annotations changes to match bookmarks, and I believe also for the colouring of connections that is coming out in FME 2020.

As always, the quiz is at: https://demos-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/FMEQuiz

Good luck!

14 replies

Badge +11

There goes my winning streak. A draw this week.

Badge +22

I'm an answer on the quiz this week!

Pro tip: I'm not the correct answer.

Badge +22

I'm an answer on the quiz this week!

Pro tip: I'm not the correct answer.

Though Mark, I'm curious now why I don't have a yearling badge.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Shelley is just too smart for me.

But I always try without looking up any answers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, that does seem very, very wrong. I'll get that looked into. It's supposed to be granted automatically, so I'm wondering if there's a weird definition of "active". I'll let you know.

Badge +12

It seems that the staff at Safe are very smart. :-/

Could you please pick the janitor next week?
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, @jdh, there is a very interesting definition of "active". According to our contact at Answerhub...

"[Active] doesn't mean being registered for a year, and do make some posts/questions/answers. This actually means that the user needs to LOG IN EVERY SINGLE DAY of the year, not missing 1! It means, there's got to be interaction (log in at least) for 365 days straight (Christmas, vacations, etc)."

I'm astounded that anyone has ever got this badge, let alone 20 people! I can only think I got it by a) Not using the logout button and staying logged in and/or b) Emails sent to me like a daily digest or alerts about messages needing moderation.

I can assure you I don't spend every vacation day checking the community! Sorry folks. I love y'all but not that much.

Hopefully the changes we're planning in the near future will make up for this!

Badge +22

Yes, @jdh, there is a very interesting definition of "active". According to our contact at Answerhub...

"[Active] doesn't mean being registered for a year, and do make some posts/questions/answers. This actually means that the user needs to LOG IN EVERY SINGLE DAY of the year, not missing 1! It means, there's got to be interaction (log in at least) for 365 days straight (Christmas, vacations, etc)."

I'm astounded that anyone has ever got this badge, let alone 20 people! I can only think I got it by a) Not using the logout button and staying logged in and/or b) Emails sent to me like a daily digest or alerts about messages needing moderation.

I can assure you I don't spend every vacation day checking the community! Sorry folks. I love y'all but not that much.

Hopefully the changes we're planning in the near future will make up for this!

I'm going to pass on that. While I likewise love you you guys, my vacations often include no internet access at all, let alone logging in to the forum.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

It seems that the staff at Safe are very smart. :-/

Could you please pick the janitor next week?

I was tempted to look at the "wisdom of the crowds" and see which was the most popular answer among the users, and take that, but then it wouldn't be as immediate (I'd only be able to calculate that after closing the quiz).

I was also wondering about matching two users against each other, with a sort of squash ladder (if you beat the person above you in the rankings, you move above them). Would that work better do you think?

It's funny, but up until now our developers (and VP of development) have been the worst performers. But I'll go for someone in IT or HR next week and see what happens!

Badge +22

I was tempted to look at the "wisdom of the crowds" and see which was the most popular answer among the users, and take that, but then it wouldn't be as immediate (I'd only be able to calculate that after closing the quiz).

I was also wondering about matching two users against each other, with a sort of squash ladder (if you beat the person above you in the rankings, you move above them). Would that work better do you think?

It's funny, but up until now our developers (and VP of development) have been the worst performers. But I'll go for someone in IT or HR next week and see what happens!

The problem with the squash ladder, is what happens if the person above you didn't take the quiz that week.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The problem with the squash ladder, is what happens if the person above you didn't take the quiz that week.

Yes, that is an issue for sure. You would probably just leap over them automatically (or we search for matches 1-3 places above/below you). Although if you wanted to know your matchup on a live basis, we'd have to pick matches at the start of the week.

One other alternative to make it easier - the Safer only gets 5 questions, against the user's 6 questions. So question #6 wouldn't count for the Safer. That would even up the playing field. That's if you think it's necessary!

Badge +22

Yes, that is an issue for sure. You would probably just leap over them automatically (or we search for matches 1-3 places above/below you). Although if you wanted to know your matchup on a live basis, we'd have to pick matches at the start of the week.

One other alternative to make it easier - the Safer only gets 5 questions, against the user's 6 questions. So question #6 wouldn't count for the Safer. That would even up the playing field. That's if you think it's necessary!

What might be interesting as a standalone or once a month type competition, is a series of questions, keep going until you get one wrong (or possibly 2/3 strikes and you're out).

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

What might be interesting as a standalone or once a month type competition, is a series of questions, keep going until you get one wrong (or possibly 2/3 strikes and you're out).

I like it. Perhaps we'll give that a try.

Badge +22

I like it. Perhaps we'll give that a try.

More work for you as it'll require a much larger bank of questions I can easily see @david_r running 20 questions in a row. Unless of course you put an impossible question every 5 or so.