Question

FME plugin REVIT 2017 and linked files

Hi, When I export a revit project to .rvz, the linked files aren't exported. I have forgotten to check off an option, or the plugin is not able to export the linked files ?

2 replies

Badge
Hi @basilethibaultn,

I've struggled with the same issue and from my experience, this is not possible (and I really hope that I am wrong). The FME Revit Exporter plugin uses the exact same dialog box as Revit's out of the box IFC converter. In fact, everything the IFC Converter does, FME Revit Exporter also does, with the exception that FME Revit Exporter saves to RVZ instead of IFC. That being said, from my experience, FME Revit Exporter doesn't generate RVZ files for linked models. The check box for exporting separate IFC files for linked models is just that, exporting separate IFC files, not separate RVZ files.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but at least for now, I've stopped wasting too much time trying to look for answers. On the flip side, I love what FME has been able to do for me with transforming Revit Data to GIS.

Cheers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi basilethibaultn,

The FME Revit Exporter does use the Revit IFC exporter to export to RVZ, so it has the same limitations as that exporter. At this time, it appears that the Revit IFC exporter cannot handle linked files, except to create separate IFC models for each, which doesn't really work in the RVZ export process. There is more discussion of this at 'https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/exporting-a-linked-model-to-ifc/td-p/5845050'

However, FME's Revit reader can read IFC files as well as RVZ files, and like all FME readers, is able to read multiple source files at the same time. In your case, I would recommend uninstalling the FME Revit plugin, then use the base IFC export to create multiple IFC files from the linked data. When adding the Revit reader to your workspace, choose all the exported IFC files instead of an RVZ file as the source dataset. This should allow you to read all the linked models as a single dataset.