Question

Visualize collection of WMS-data to web

• 31 October 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi again, fellow FME:ers!

My organisation has collected a great number of WMS-links relavant to many of our employees. Currently these links are saved in an ArcMap MXD for documentation purposes (of course they can easily be extracted to tabular data via Python or similar).

Our next task is to visualize these links on an internal web map where the links can be categorized and turned on and off.

(As a future bonus we have discussed the option to have tools next to the links which will automate the procedure to open the specific wms in the GIS tool of your choice. But this is only a bonus...)

Can we use FME Server to do this in an easy way? Or what set of tools would you recommend? Any suggestions or input will be highly appreciated!

5 replies

Badge +16

Hi @peteralstorp, If I understand you correctly and you intend to try and use FME for the visualization of the WMS services, then I would strongly recommend looking for another tool, since FME is a translation tool and not made for visualizations such as a web portal.

If your intention was different , please elaborate.

Itay

Badge

Hi @peteralstorp, If I understand you correctly and you intend to try and use FME for the visualization of the WMS services, then I would strongly recommend looking for another tool, since FME is a translation tool and not made for visualizations such as a web portal.

If your intention was different , please elaborate.

Itay

Thanks for your input, Itay. I'm more interested in using FME Server for handling the data and outputting relevant information for the visualization. The actual visualization however will be carried out in other tools. But still, not a good idea, you reckon?
Badge +2

there are quite a few examples of using FME with websockets on our KnowledgeCenter. For example: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1305/websockets-and-fme-server.html

Badge +16
Thanks for your input, Itay. I'm more interested in using FME Server for handling the data and outputting relevant information for the visualization. The actual visualization however will be carried out in other tools. But still, not a good idea, you reckon?
If I understand you better, than FME Server CAN leverage the data and serving of the visualization information.

Badge

there are quite a few examples of using FME with websockets on our KnowledgeCenter. For example: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1305/websockets-and-fme-server.html

Thanks, Mark. That looks interesting for a number of reasons.