Question

Reconstruct a CSV that has been downloaded as an attribute

I have a csv file that is stored in a secure location that I cannot save locally for processing. I am accessing the file through the FTP caller and downloading it as an attribute. When I view what is returned the entire contents of the csv file are returned in a single cell of the resulting table. How do I parse the cell to turn it back into rows and columns of data? The processing of the data must be handled in memory with the data never being stored at rest without encryption. Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @samhayashi,

I have attached a workspace that will break up the attribute containing the CSV contents into features similar to what you would get from the CSV reader.

ftp2csv.fmw

Hi Dave! Thank you so much!! Sorry for the slow response, I'm trying to get to this as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the file I'm using doesn't have column names - the first line is part of the data. I'm trying to trim out those parts of your workflow but am getting stuck on how to handle the list indexer portion. Any ideas? Thanks - I really appreciate your help on this!! :)

Hi @DaveAtSafe, the workspace you sent doesn't seem to breakup the data into the appropriate columns (with their column names). Any ideas on why its not working? Thanks!

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe, the workspace you sent doesn't seem to breakup the data into the appropriate columns (with their column names). Any ideas on why its not working? Thanks!

Not sure if you have figured this out yet (looks like you posted this over a year ago) but I got stuck with an issue with the workbench that Dave posted until I figured out at the end that I needed to expose the attributes (i.e. the column names) with the AttributeExposer; they were hiding