Question

GeoTiff to ESRI ASCII conversion

• 19 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi All,

I'm new to translating rasters and i'm looking at doing a simple translation from GeoTiff to ASCII grid data. The Geotiff is a simple single band DSM with REAL32 datatype. I've created a workbench that has the Geotiff as the reader and ASCII as the writer. I am also clipping the original Geotiff, so I've got a clipper in there as well. However, when I run this I get an error 'ESRIASCIIGRID writer: Failed to obtain raster from feature. Only features with raster geometry are expected'. I was kind of expecting something along these lines, because I suspected you need to extract the height info from the band before converting it to ASCII. How do you do this please?

Thanks

Dave

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @cappers,

A single band GeoTIFF should write OK to the Esri ASCII Grid. Would you mind posting a copy of your workspace?

Badge

Hi,

see attached workspace. I get an error (translation failed) when i run this.

Thanks

Dave

geotiid2ascii_DSM.fmw

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @cappers,

The workspace looks good. The only reason I can think of that might cause the error you see is if the clipping boundary doesn't line up with the input rasters (perhaps due to different coordinate systems).

Please try setting Writers - Redirect to FME Data Inspector, the re-run the workspace to examine the output of the Clipper. This should give us more info on the data being written to ASCII.