Question

Easy way to remove all Empty attributes

• 20 November 2012
  • 9 replies

Badge
I am looking for an easy/elegant way to remove all attributes that are empty. I have taken a look the NullAttributeReplacer and while that "could" work, I have to know/expose the name of every attribute. I was looking into writing a python script to get all the attributes, test if empty then remove but writing python in FME hasnt gotten easier over the releases.

Any thoughts?

-Sean

9 replies

Badge
Here is what I have so far (not working though)

import fmeobjects

# Template Function interface:

#def processFeature(feature):

#   pass

# Template Class Interface:

class FeatureProcessor(object):

def __init__(self):

pass

def input(self,feature):

for tmpAttrName in feature.getAllAttributeNames():

tmpAttrVal= feature.getAttribute(tmpAttrName)

if tmpAttrVal is None:

feature.performFunction()

self.pyoutput(feature)

def close(self):

pass

Badge
Hi Sean,

i think this should help:

import fmeobjects

# Template Class Interface:

class FeatureProcessor(object):

def __init__(self):

pass

def input(self,feature):

for tmpAttrName in feature.getAllAttributeNames():

tmpAttrVal = feature.getAttribute(tmpAttrName)

if (tmpAttrVal is None) or (tmpAttrVal == ''):

feature.removeAttribute(tmpAttrName)

self.pyoutput(feature)

def close(self):

pass

Badge +2
Hi Sean,

To clarify, are you after a solution that checks whether ALL features have a null for a specific attribute?

The following article may help with the usage of Python and attribute checking and removal: http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/Extracting-a-schema-subset-for-dynamic-schemas

Badge +3
Hi Sean,

I had a bit of a play with to see if there was a way to do this is without Python in case you are interested - here are the steps:

1. Pass your data into an AttributeExploder - this creates an attribute name/vluae pair for each attribute in your source data (being _attr_name and _attr_value)
  2. Using a Tester select those features where _attr_value is NULL (operator = Attribute is Null)
  3. Remove the duplicates with a DuplicateRemover (key attribute = _attr_name)
  4. Pass the data to an Aggregator transformer with the "Attribute to Concatenate = _attr_name) - your attr_name attribute is a now a comma delimited string of attribute names with NULL values (one record only)
  5. Using an AttributeFileWriter write the stringin _attr_name out to a txt file.
  6. Pass output from the AttributeFileWriter to a FeatureHolder transformer AND also pass the original source data (unprocessed) to the FeatureHolder
  7. Now use a AttributeFileReader to read in your single comma delimited txt string of attribute names to be deleted - this will get saved against a <new_attribute>
  8. Finally use an FMEFunctionCaller transformer with the @RemoveAttributes function with syntax like @RemoveAttributes( [new_attribute] )
Cheers

Mike
Badge
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

The python that Hendrik wrote works perfect. I like your method Mike but since we are running over 1600 transformers in the workbench as is, I would like to keep the number down as much as possible.

Thanks,

Sean
Badge
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting this to work.  When I connect my data source to the PythonCaller it automatically maps all the existing attribute fields to the output?   I tried hiding all the output attribute values but that didn't seem to make a difference?   
Badge +1

Hi

I have followed Michael Oberdries steps for using FME transformers for this but have got stuck on how to do step 7 & 8

7. Now use a AttributeFileReader to read in your single comma delimited txt string of attribute names to be deleted - this will get saved against a <new_attribute>

8. Finally use an FMEFunctionCaller transformer with the @RemoveAttributes function with syntax like @RemoveAttributes( [new_attribute] )

Can you give me some more advice please @MOberdries?

Badge +3

Explode the attributes.

Listbuilder on attr_name. Make list out of attr_value.

ListDuplicate remover.

Test if list_element_count =1.

Of those, test if list{0} has a value.

Yields a table of attributes where all records have empty values.

(you are talking about empty attributes, which exclude NULL or MISSING as I interpret it )

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

In the current FME (2014 or later), you can use the NullAttributeMapper to remove all empty and null attributes easily.

• Map: All Attributes
  • If Attribute Value Is: Null Empty
  • Map To: Missing