Question

ESRI Utility network - Data models

• 4 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

Hello There

is it possible to get access to the GDB Schema of the utility network of Esri, without having An ArcGIS product

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 4

If it's an SDE Geodatabase you can usually read directly from the underlying database (e.g. Oracle or SQL Server) using the relevant reader in FME.

However:

• It may be difficult or tricky reading the geometries (hint: cast to WKB in a SELECT statement, if possible, then use the GeometryReplacer in FME to restore the geometry)
  • It may be difficult or complicated getting to SDE specific functionality, such as topology definitions, relationships, domains, etc.

Badge +10

@david_r

My goal is to use the ESRI network utility schema in order to build a custom schema, how could we get ESRI schema, I thought its available like the inspire one.

Userlevel 4

@david_r

My goal is to use the ESRI network utility schema in order to build a custom schema, how could we get ESRI schema, I thought its available like the inspire one.

Ah, sorry, seems I misinterpreted your question then.

Badge +10

@david_r

This blog hints on how to get to the Utility Network Data element using REST API and JSON parsing.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/utility-network/data-management/exporting-subnetworks-using-data-interoperability/

If you take the SDE approach, then the GDB items table should be your start and this would require XML parsing. Blog supports UNv3 and I'll update into UNv5 and add a sidebar on how to get other UN and GDB properties like Attribute Rules.