Skip to main content

Hi FME Community, 

Here’s our Question of the Week: Have you used your FME skills for any charitable organizations? Or if you haven’t yet, what charity or cause would you like to use your FME skills for? Share in the comments below.

New to the Question of the Week? 

Every week, we’ll post a simple but thought-provoking question that could be about your FME journey, the power of spatial data, FME innovation, or the future of FME.

Each weekly question you answer earns you an entry in our monthly draw for exclusive Safe swag and points toward badges! Answer our July Questions of the Week by Friday, August 2 at 5:00 pm PDT to be entered in this month’s draw.

Answer your first question and you’ll get the Socializer (Ice Breaker) badge. Answer five questions and you’ll get the Socializer (Talker) badge.

I have not yet used FME for any charitable organizations, however I have started participating with Search and Rescue both on a team and as a part of a SaR GIS group. I think that FME could play some role in the future with that.

Yes, on a daily basis. I work for an NGO, we are a nature conservation and cultural heritage association, and as such are a registered charity. So all my work with FME these days (since 2017) is for charity.

Except some of the stuff I used to do on my home use license, that is more personal stuff - although that does usually help me in my work (GPS data for example).

I don’t think I’ve ever done anything directly for charitable organisations, but I have used FME to work on datasets that would eventually be released as open data in some form (such as QA on the Natural Earth Vector dataset)

A friendly reminder… Answer our July Questions of the Week by Friday, August 2 at 5:00 pm PDT to be entered in this month’s draw for two $50 value Safe swag packs! 

A friendly reminder… Answer our July Questions of the Week by Friday, August 2 at 5:00 pm PDT to be entered in this month’s draw for two $50 value Safe swag packs! 

Congrats to our July Question of the Week winners @_jacques_ and @liamfez! 🎉 We’ll reach out to you directly to get your shipping details.

A lot of our work with FME definitely would fall under the “Using FME for good!” as it is key to processing data for our disaster response and recovery efforts. We experience cyclones, floods and bushfires on a regular basis and FME has helped streamline our disaster support activation process, getting help to our agricultural sector a lot quicker than before.

Not so much work for charitable organisations at the moment.. But it does sound interesting to work with search and rescue like liamfez mentions above!