Question

Feedback on the new FME Community

• 28 September 2012
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Welcome to the new FME Community! If you have any suggestions on how to improve the service or you have any issues, feel free to post here or you can email me directly.

35 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
I really like being able to use animated gifs for profile pics!
Badge +2
Looks great Stewart.

One comment I have is that I don't like the way the "About Me" section in the profile auto-wraps text and thus removes newline characters.

Something you guys likely don't have control over though.

Keep up the good work mate.
Stewart.

At first glance this looks very good.

One suggestion might be, once more questions have been posted, breakdown the desktop/server categories even further.

For example you could do something akin to the transformer categories in desktop, might make things easier to find/answer.

Cheers.
Badge +14
Looks good Stewart, I agree a tighter set of categories would help but difficult to know where to stop on that one. An option might be along the lines of the data types:

• CAD
  • GIS
  • Raster
  • Database
  • 3D
  • BIM
  • Web
  • Point Cloud
  • XML

Just a thought. 

Is there an option to see all the registered users somewhere? One thing I've had positive comments back on in the past is the fact that you've been able to see that there are 2000+ registered users, which gives reassurance that it's the right forum to be using. Cheers
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
There is no option currently to see all of the users. It is on the list for phase 2 though as I agree I think it needs doing.

With regards to the categories, I know what you are saying. I decided to keep it simple to start but we can rename and expand as we move forward. FME is such a vast product it is sometimes difficult to know where to start!
The Newest Answers list doesn't seem to do a good job with double quotes; shows them as html entities like "
Ok, an "edit" feature would be killer.  I'd much rather be able to improve my answer with new or expanded information than have to 

Also, a way of commenting on other peoples' answers.  Sometimes a full answer with substantial new content would be warranted, but sometimes you just want to correct or refine something minor or even ask for clarification, and with non-threaded answers it's a pain having to either quote or somehow explicitly refer to the original answer.

Oh, and let me change my vote on individual answers.  I decided that I really liked Manitoba Mark from Killarney's answer about animated GIFs after all :D
Badge +14
Stewart, are there any notification options going to be setup with these 'community' accounts? I was expecting to be notified by email if there was any traffic on this topic (once I'd contributed) but I had to physically check back. That said its good to be forced to come back here regularly but I might miss the all important comment...
It would be nice to have a similar filter option as in FMEtalk.

This is so easy to follow your own topics, certainly if a mail notification is not (yet) available.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
@rvgeneug - if you click the link for your profile you'll see a list of questions and answers you have posted, so you can follow your threads there.

@jasonbirch - that's good, though I just changed mine to an un-animated version!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
For launch we plan to have the following email configurable:

#1 no email (can configure this if you wish by un-checking everything) #2 get an email if someone answers on a question you posted #3 daily digest email containing issues activity for the day

We felt that was sufficient otherwise it would get too spammy?

@jason thanks for the feedback I will add your suggestions to the list. Can't say for sure whether we will do them or not at this point as it will depend on complexity.

@stewart it would be useful to have an option to be notified also of additional answers to questions where you have already posted an answer.  Often these will be the OP asking for clarification, or better answers than yours that you may be able to use.
As an aside, are the questions / answers we're posting now going to be flushed before general release?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The community will not be flushed before we go live. Really you are on the live site now, we are just going to flip the DNS around a bit. So yes you could be the top hero when the community launches!

Noted about triggering an email when someone posts on a thread you have posted on. We want to drive traffic here as much as possible so as long as we give an option to turn it off then it would be a plus for us.
- It would be nice it the navigation info (Answer > other) would also be shown when you are in a topic.

In this case it would be easier to go back to a certain position while jumping from on topic to another by using for example the "similar questions" on the right.

- Will the list of answers be "paged" from a certain amount of replies?

- Is there a possibility to re-order the answers by date (oldest on top)?
Badge +2
Stewart,

Having seen your Easy Translator groovy lil tool and wracking my brain as to how it works, can i add on Michael's comment and suggest that there be a Showcase category?

A category that enables people to displays how they use FME Desktop / Server would be really beneficial i reckon. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of the showcase category, I will discuss it with the group. We were obviously trying to keep the category list as slimmed down as  possible to start with and then create more as we need.

@Rob goof idea on category Breadcrumb. It will give more visibility to them too. No paging currently. We will see how it goes but we might well have to add it.
I wonder if there is any appetite to tie Pro designation to a certain amount of community involvement, measured by posts here between certification dates?
It would be awesome to have an RSS feed of the questions, with links directly to those questions.  That, combined with instant notifications of new replies on questions I've answered, would pretty much fill the email hole I think.
Badge +3
Hi Stewart,

My question was answered within minutes and now I would like to put the Status to closed/anwered. How can I do this?

Kind regards,

Maarten.
When navigating Q/A's, I could not find a 'clean' way to return to browsing questions after having viewed one in detail...
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Stewart, you say to email you directly with feedback, however there's no actual email address in your profile as best I can tell.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@jonathan you can email support@safe.com if you find any issues. I also got your other emaila nd will respond to you shortly, thanks.

@Jeroen You are right we need to add some Breadcrumbs in. Tha back button also does not honour pagination which is a bug I will get fixed. 

@Maarten When you are logged in you should be able to click "Best Answer" on the answer you like it and we highlight it and bring it to the top.
Badge +2
Mate, can you host the ability for us to upload pix to Safe so that we can implement such in our responses or questions?