Skip to main content

Hi all.

I installed version 2020.0 originally, and when 2020.1 was released, I opted to upgrade the engines only. This worked out fine.

But the web interface GUI is still 2020.0, and so any improvements here are not available. This is probably not an issue now, but will be when 2021.0 is released.

Are there any concerns when upgrading FME Server fully ? Will all setup be kept in place ? Are there any post-install tasks needed ?

Cheers.

The procedure for upgrading FME Server varies according to if you're upgrading on a new server, or on the existing one. But the short version is that you'll want to make a backup of the existing version, upgrade (or install) the new version, then restoring the backup.

See also: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrading.htm

There used to be some settings that were not taken into account by the backup/restore mechanism, notably the settings only available from the command line or config files, e.g. proxy settings and custom Python interpreter, so you'll want to be mindful of those.

The procedure for upgrading FME Server varies according to if you're upgrading on a new server, or on the existing one. But the short version is that you'll want to make a backup of the existing version, upgrade (or install) the new version, then restoring the backup.

See also: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrading.htm

There used to be some settings that were not taken into account by the backup/restore mechanism, notably the settings only available from the command line or config files, e.g. proxy settings and custom Python interpreter, so you'll want to be mindful of those.

Hi David.

Well, installing on a new server is not an upgrade in my book, it's just an install. Upgrading means upgrading an existing installation in-place.

But your answer confirmed my worst expectations, there's basically no help when upgrading an installation in-place, you have to uninstall and rebuild your server from scratch.

The configuration backup does contain my workspaces and other configurations. But this could just as easily be done on a new server.

If I deploy a new server under a different host name, my license will obviously fail. But will my configuration backup still work ?

Cheers.

Hi David.

Well, installing on a new server is not an upgrade in my book, it's just an install. Upgrading means upgrading an existing installation in-place.

But your answer confirmed my worst expectations, there's basically no help when upgrading an installation in-place, you have to uninstall and rebuild your server from scratch.

The configuration backup does contain my workspaces and other configurations. But this could just as easily be done on a new server.

If I deploy a new server under a different host name, my license will obviously fail. But will my configuration backup still work ?

Cheers.

Hi, the terminology is not mine, it's the one used by Safe.

You can of course backup and restore between physical servers with different hostnames, should not be a problem at all.

For the license, as long as you know the serial number from your "old" server, you can simply request the new license using the same serial number on the new server, it's fairly immediate if the server has an internet connection.

Best of luck!

@Lars I Nielsen​ 

Unfortunately, at this time FME Server does not have an inplace upgrade path that allows you to leave the existing FME Server software in place on the same system and upgrade that software. We do not provide patches or hotfixes either. This is something that users have asked for - review this idea (link to the idea).

That said, the Backup Tool will bring across all Automations/Schedules/Workspaces/Publisher/Subscriber/Users/Queues/Security settings (more details here). We do not bring across job log history. We do not restore any SSL/HTTPS configuration at this time. The licensing is not backup either. So you'll need to relicense the new system.

As for licensing goes, as david_r points out, the same serial number can be used to license the new server. If you need a transition period (new system) that will be fine too. If the system is online, it is pretty easy to get your server licensed.

Contact us if you have any issues.

Hope this helps.