Skip to main content

We are in the process of migrating from FME Server 2017 to FME Server 2020, workspaces have been saved as 2020 and loaded to the new FME server 2020. A number of jobs are failing but also failing to complete in the job history! However in the FME Server Log there is this note “Please see: http://fme.ly/e100005#could-not-read-engine-response “Following the link the causes are listed as

“These errors occur when the job that was running on FME Server crashes the FME Engine. FME Engine crashes have varying causes and by their nature are usually unknown to Safe Software. Here are some causes we have seen in the past:

• python errors/crashes
  • oracle client configuration errors
  • large datasets with memory intensive operations
  • service account permissions
  • port scanners related to security interrogations

I can't see how any of these apply to the workspaces that have failed to complete. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can fix this issue?

Did you look in the FME Server system log files? In particular fmeprocessmonitorengine.log

Hi David, thanks for replying.

I am looking at the fmeprocessmonitorengine.log now, do you have any suggestions on what I should look for? I can see "Engine2" ended unexpectedly. Being restarted on attempt 1" and then  1) Review the log file for the job that was running when the problem occurred.

2) Check that the terminated program is not already running on the system.

3) Check that correct license(s) are in effect.

Hi David, thanks for replying.

I am looking at the fmeprocessmonitorengine.log now, do you have any suggestions on what I should look for? I can see "Engine2" ended unexpectedly. Being restarted on attempt 1" and then  1) Review the log file for the job that was running when the problem occurred.

2) Check that the terminated program is not already running on the system.

3) Check that correct license(s) are in effect.

I have never run into the same issue, so I don't know exactly what to look for. But unless you see any obvious error messages, my recommendation is to start looking through the troubleshooting guides published by Safe, e.g. https://community.safe.com/s/article/fme-server-troubleshooting-guide

If that still doesn't work, consider contacting your FME reseller or partner for technical support.

Thanks David