Skip to main content

I have 2 datasets of roads, one is a whole of site polygon layer and the other layer is broken into segments for each section of road. I have manually edited the whole of site layer to match our property boundary layer. Now I would like to match the road segments to the whole of site possibly by snapping the segment layer to the whole of site layer. I really hope there is a way to do this as it would be a massive job to manually align each individual segment to the whole of site layer. It has taken me 3 weeks to do the whole of site layer alone.

The AnchoredSnapper is a tool to pull features from one set to another. There are also other possibilities depending on what you have and what you need.

The AnchoredSnapper is a tool to pull features from one set to another. There are also other possibilities depending on what you have and what you need.

Thank you, Yes I am looking at the AnchoredSnapper at present. I don’t need to transfer any attributes from one dataset to another. All I need to do get  polygons to align in both datasets. It is part of the road dataset, which is made up of the following datasets (Sites, Segments, Pavements, and Surfaces) in our Confirm Asset System. Our State mapping authority have done a major realignment, of all the Property and Parcel polygons across the state, which now means that nothing matches the new property boundaries, thus the need to realign them all.

I tried the AnchoredSnapper for the job but unfortunately would not successfully snap the the Base layer, it was loosing segments and not snapping properly.

I have had to resort to doing it manually. Long slow process sadly.

I tried the AnchoredSnapper for the job but unfortunately would not successfully snap the the Base layer, it was loosing segments and not snapping properly.

The AnchoredSnapper can be very finicky. What settings have you tried? I can recommend segment snapping and using a very low Snapping Distance. Or link up several AnchoredSnappers increasing in Snapping Distance. 

Also, try to ‘map’ your Anchors and Candidates to one another, so you can use the Group By functionality. This allows for larger Snapping Distances while only snapping surfaces onto surfaces and pavements onto pavements. 

I am currently also working on a very big project where I am snapping one dataset to another dataset. We can snap about 85% and then use the AreaOnAreaOverlayer to find the remaining faulty parts, which our editors can then easily fix manually. I sadly cannot share my workspaces.

Hope this helps!