Skip to main content
Question

Upgrading engines only

• 17 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi.

I'm new to administering an FME Server, but needed to upgrade my desktop client (from 2020.0 build 20252) to 2020.1, so I figured I also needed to upgrade the server. I chose to upgrade the engines only, by parallel installing the new version, and switching the engine reference. This worked very nicely.

Both the client and the server (as reported on the engine page) now runs FME 2020.1 build 20594.

But when I now try to upload a workspace, it warns me that I'm uploading to an older server !?

"You are connecting to an older version of FME Server"

Why does this error show ? Doesn't it look at the build numbers of the engines ?

And how can I remove this bogus error message (except by suppressing it completely) ?

Cheers

It didn't complain when I published from a desktop build 20252 to the server's build 20232.

It apparently checks the build number of the FME Server, not the engine(s). As far as I know the message can't be suppressed.

Did you perform all the steps outlined here, in particular step 7:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Install_on_Windows.htm

It should indeed be supported:

Safe supports installing newer FME Engines, as long as the engines share the same major version/year as the current installation of FME Server. For example, on FME Server 2016.0, the FME Engines may be upgraded to 2016.1.3, but may not be upgraded to 2017.0.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrade_FME_Engine_Only.htm

If you've done everything as specified I would consider opening a support ticket with Safe.

I suspect there is a version number somewhere in the fme server database that gets checked. While I wouldn't recommend changing it this is where I would look.

There is some risk when going from a .0 to a .1 and only upgrading the engines. The risk being potential changes to user parameter definitions and things like that. For example there may be a newly defined parameter type which both desktop and engine support but the core and web UI don't understand.

Engine upgraded should reaaaally only be done for very minor releases. In saying that though if you have no problems then its all good.

**Update - given the response from @david_r I retract all of the above. I guess I should have red the doc...**

I suspect there is a version number somewhere in the fme server database that gets checked. While I wouldn't recommend changing it this is where I would look.

There is some risk when going from a .0 to a .1 and only upgrading the engines. The risk being potential changes to user parameter definitions and things like that. For example there may be a newly defined parameter type which both desktop and engine support but the core and web UI don't understand.

Engine upgraded should reaaaally only be done for very minor releases. In saying that though if you have no problems then its all good.

**Update - given the response from @david_r I retract all of the above. I guess I should have red the doc...**

I'd still say you make a valid point about the parameter types and stuff like that. Yes, this is supported, but I would personally be very wary of it.

I'd still say you make a valid point about the parameter types and stuff like that. Yes, this is supported, but I would personally be very wary of it.

Totally agree with all of this.