Skip to main content

As usual, when a new version is released, I download both desktop, server, and engine, just in case.

One thing puzzles me though: Why is the engine download so big (3.9g) ?

It's 600Mb bigger than the full server (3.3g), and more than 2Gb larger than desktop (1.7g), which I would assume should be very similar in content to engine.

What is the extra 2Gb of dead weight in the engine download ?

Cheers.

Hi.

From a recent What's Up Wednesday...

"Server Downloads

I saw that a user this week queried the size of our FME Server downloads. The full product is a 3.3GB file. The engine by itself is 3.8GB. How can it be that the engine alone is larger?

Luckily they - and you - don't need to worry. The full installer just uses a more efficient compression. We'll fix the engine-only build to use the same. But in the meantime, if you notice the difference, that's why."

So, yes, we're aware of the issue and I hope it will be fixed shortly.

Hi.

From a recent What's Up Wednesday...

"Server Downloads

I saw that a user this week queried the size of our FME Server downloads. The full product is a 3.3GB file. The engine by itself is 3.8GB. How can it be that the engine alone is larger?

Luckily they - and you - don't need to worry. The full installer just uses a more efficient compression. We'll fix the engine-only build to use the same. But in the meantime, if you notice the difference, that's why."

So, yes, we're aware of the issue and I hope it will be fixed shortly.

Oh, I think the engine alone is also bigger than Desktop because it includes various reprojection grids that Desktop doesn't.

Oh, I think the engine alone is also bigger than Desktop because it includes various reprojection grids that Desktop doesn't.

Not really, Mark. I did a comparison of the desktop and server engine folders of the same version (2020.2.5), and they were both 5.2 Gb.

I'm sure it's the same with 2022.2.

However, my desktop did have 52K files, whereas engine only had 30K files.