Question

Has anyone used the "Surface Model File" in the surface modeller?

• 23 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I'm working with some large DTM datasets and am killing my machine with the clients requested settings. I wanted to see if this "Surface Model" file could somehow help me process the data in batch. The documentation looks promising, however, I've not really had much luck when testing it and there are no examples anywhere I can find of how to actually use it properly.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Not answering your Surface Model File question, but have you explored tiling the inputs and running it as smaller batches?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Not answering your Surface Model File question, but have you explored tiling the inputs and running it as smaller batches?

Thanks Hamish, indeed I have, however, unfortunately the output isn't as seamless as it needs to be. If there was a nice way to stitch the resulting mesh objects together then that would be awesome. Still exploring the best approach to the project.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Thanks Hamish, indeed I have, however, unfortunately the output isn't as seamless as it needs to be. If there was a nice way to stitch the resulting mesh objects together then that would be awesome. Still exploring the best approach to the project.

I might be heading down the complete wrong path here (or that you've already tried this), but I'm assuming you're doing some level of interpolation and because you've tiled the input you're getting weird behavour at the edge of those tiles?

I've over come this before by making overlapping tiles, and then when you've processed the data, clip it with non overlapping polygons and dissolve/merge/aggregate back to the level you want.

Have you also explored whether you can do what you need to in pointclouds?