Question

FME Desktop Installation Issue on Ubuntu 20.04.1 Intel Evo Laptop - Need Assistance

• 22 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello fellow forum members,

I am currently facing an installation issue with FME Desktop on my Intel Evo laptop [https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/faqs/intel-evo/] running Ubuntu 20.04.1, and I am reaching out to seek your valuable insights and assistance. I have been trying to install FME Desktop, a powerful data integration and transformation tool, but I have encountered some challenges in the process.

Here's a brief overview of the problem: After downloading the FME Desktop installer for Linux from the official website and following the installation instructions, I am unable to launch the application. Whenever I try to run FME Desktop, nothing happens, and there are no error messages or indications of what might be causing the issue.

I have checked the system requirements and ensured that my Intel Evo laptop meets all the necessary specifications for running FME Desktop. I have also made sure that my Ubuntu 20.04.1 is up to date with the latest patches and updates.

I have attempted to reinstall FME Desktop multiple times, but the issue persists. I have also tried running the application with different compatibility modes and as an administrator, but to no avail. It seems to be specific to my Intel Evo laptop running Ubuntu 20.04.1, as I haven't encountered this problem on other systems.

If any of you have experience with FME Desktop on Ubuntu or have encountered a similar issue, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Perhaps there are some specific steps or configurations that I may have missed during the installation process. Any guidance on troubleshooting or resolving this problem would be immensely helpful.

Additionally, if there are any alternative methods or workarounds to successfully install and run FME Desktop on Ubuntu 20.04.1, please share your insights. FME Desktop is an essential tool for my data integration and transformation tasks, and I am eager to utilize its capabilities.

Thank you in advance for your support and expertise. I look forward to hearing from the knowledgeable members of this community and finding a solution to this installation issue.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @judywatsonn​ 

I'm sorry to hear you're running into issues installing FME.

Can you confirm the Ubuntu release you are using and the version of FME you are installing? You should be able to check the version by running the command in the terminal:

lsb_release -a