Question

FME AR and Deep Linking support

• 16 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a workflow that needs to run completely offline, where the customer wants to be able to navigate using a map, and then once at a given location, click on a feature on the map, and pull up a specific model in an AR environment to illustrate what the future conditions at that site would look like. The model would need to be geolocated/anchored for a simplified experience for the user.

It would be very easy to create a url within the mapping app to send to FME AR (to include the model name, even an insertion point, etc.) I am curious if FME AR supports a deep linking capability that many other mobile apps support. I cannot seem to find any documentation on this topic, so any insight is appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @neilmyoung,

I think this is possible, I just made some experiments on iOS. I made a simple map with LeafletJS where I made some markers, on which we can tap, and that sends the name of the associated AR file to clipboard, and then I pass it to iOS Shortcuts as the following link:

window.open("shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=OpenAR&input=clipboard", "_self");

On my phone, I created a Shortcut "OpenAR" that goes to the folder with AR files, gets the contents of the clipboard, opens AR app and loads the file with the name from the clipboard.

This seems to work quite well. My plan now is make a good video that illustrates the process and maybe post an article. I also can share a detailed instruction here, but it may take a few days. Feel free to contact me directly at dmitri@safe.com.

I am still investigating Android, but my feeling is, it might be pretty hard or impossible at the moment.

Dmitri

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @neilmyoung,

Here is the YouTube video where I show how the approach I described above works:

https://youtu.be/VYg0xYdnpxU

Dmitri