Solved

Creating a least cost corridor in FME?

• 12 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I have a current workspace that calculates a single least cost route using the ShortestPathFinder to minimise an attribute on a network. I came across this article on ArcGIS online (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/analytics/create-a-wildlife-corridor-with-the-new-least-cost-corridor-tool-in-arcgis-pro/), and i feel it would be a great addition to my workspace. Is there any way I could re-create this type of output in FME?

Thanks,

Jack

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 12 May 2023, 18:22

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

For sure.

The NetworkCostCalculator is one transformer to use, if you're using a vector network. This tutorial shows how to create this sort of thing, using emergency travel times as an example.

If you want to use raster data, then you'll need to do raster algebra. That's not too difficult at all. I think the RasterCellValueCalculator or RasterExpressionEvaluator transformers are the ones to use there. I did a presentation on this technique at last year's User Conference. I can't find a recording, but the slides are here.

I hope this helps. If you need more info on the raster techniques, I'll see if I can find the workspaces and data in my demos.

Regards

Mark (FME Evangelist)

For sure.

The NetworkCostCalculator is one transformer to use, if you're using a vector network. This tutorial shows how to create this sort of thing, using emergency travel times as an example.

If you want to use raster data, then you'll need to do raster algebra. That's not too difficult at all. I think the RasterCellValueCalculator or RasterExpressionEvaluator transformers are the ones to use there. I did a presentation on this technique at last year's User Conference. I can't find a recording, but the slides are here.

I hope this helps. If you need more info on the raster techniques, I'll see if I can find the workspaces and data in my demos.

Regards

Mark (FME Evangelist)

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much - managed to achieve exactly what I needed with the NetworkCostCalculator as using a vector network.