Question

How to map out final outputs and the processes/logic that lead to the final output?

Hi guys! I inherited a very long workbench that includes a lot of readers and lots of processes that writes to a final table output. Is there a way to quickly review each attribute and trace the logic and processes in retrospect in FME workbench?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Unfortunately no. Is the workspace properly documented?

Unfortunately no. Is the workspace properly documented?

That's my mission. Is to document it very thoroughly. Thinking of the most efficient way to tackle this. The bookmarks help a lot, but it still requires going through each of the processes

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

That's my mission. Is to document it very thoroughly. Thinking of the most efficient way to tackle this. The bookmarks help a lot, but it still requires going through each of the processes

Yeah, I'm afraid that that is what you have to do, go through the whole process to understand what's happening.

If you're not the person who built the workspace in the first place that tends to be a difficult task, it can be made easier with documentation, but even then.

Good luck!

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

You can analyze the Workspace with an FME Workspace Reader. This will give you information on the attributes on every output port of every transformer. It will also give you information of the type of each transformer, and the connections between the transformers.

This may help you understand the flow of data through the workspace.

It will stil be a lot of work though, good luck!