Question

FME 64bit with 32bit ArcGIS

We have been using ArcGIS 10.8.1 (32bit) with arcFM solution and FME 2020.2 (Desktop and Server) (32bit). We use FME to read and write to the esri geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb).

I am trying to update FME to the newest version 2022.2.5 (64bit).

I read that it should be possible to have 32bit ArcGIS and 64bit FME after installing background geoprocessing.

However when I am starting the workspace with python startup script for fetching the licenses for ArcGIS and ArcFM I get error:

"Python Exception <com_error>: (-2147221164, 'Class not registered', None, None)".

This error comes up using fmepython310 + pywin32 library installed. Pywin32 also includes the pythoncom and it is installed the same way than in the previous version.

I have also tried to use the 32bit fmepython37 from the older FME version, but FME 2022 is not recognizing it and automatically switches back to python 3.10.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @felixfme​, thanks for posting! Hm..I think we might need some more specific information to help diagnose the issue. The exception seems to be coming from the pywin32 module, so it might be unrelated to FME or ArcGIS completely (hard to say for certain at this point however). To help resolve the pywin32 error, are you able to share:

• A copy of your python script
  • How you installed pywin32
  • Where pywin32 is installed
  • Lastly, what is your PYTHONPATH set too?

If you aren't able to share this infromation publically, please consider submitting a support case with us. Happy to help, Kailin.

Hello @felixfme​, thanks for posting! Hm..I think we might need some more specific information to help diagnose the issue. The exception seems to be coming from the pywin32 module, so it might be unrelated to FME or ArcGIS completely (hard to say for certain at this point however). To help resolve the pywin32 error, are you able to share:

• A copy of your python script
  • How you installed pywin32
  • Where pywin32 is installed
  • Lastly, what is your PYTHONPATH set too?

If you aren't able to share this infromation publically, please consider submitting a support case with us. Happy to help, Kailin.

We are using the startup python script from here:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-to-write-to-arcfm-geodatabases

I first installed pywin32 to another computer using the same exact python version and pip. Then I copied the necessary pywin32 files to the virtual machine where our fme is installed and running.

The pywin32 files were copied to fmepython310/Lib/site-packages. PYTHONPATH is not set since the modules are installed directly to the site-packages.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

We are using the startup python script from here:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-to-write-to-arcfm-geodatabases 

I first installed pywin32 to another computer using the same exact python version and pip. Then I copied the necessary pywin32 files to the virtual machine where our fme is installed and running.

The pywin32 files were copied to fmepython310/Lib/site-packages. PYTHONPATH is not set since the modules are installed directly to the site-packages.

Hello @felixfme​, thanks for linking the script source! Hm.. did you happen to catch @markatsafe's comment on that article: 

As far as we can tell, the required python for license checkout is only available for 32bit, so you might be stuck with a 32bit FME for writing to ArcFM. If anyone knows anything more on that please let us know

I am unsure running this script with 64bit FME will work unfortunately, might need to re-think or tweak the process. I don't have any other immediate suggestions at this time, but please let me know if you have any other related questions. Happy to help, Kailin.