Question

I’m using FME Server v2021.2.6. It’s currently licensed for 1 engine. Our customer has asked us to add an additional engine. I'm not sure if this will work as the 2nd license provided by our customer was procured from a different vendor to license 1.

Badge

Hi Support,

I’m using FME Server v2021.2.6. It’s currently licensed for 1 engine. Our customer has asked us to add an additional engine. This sounds simple enough, however, the license key provided by our customer, for the 2nd engine, was procured from a different license vendor to the license procured for the first engine. Before I apply the 2nd license, I would like to clarify the following:

1. Will the new license overwrite the existing license or can 2 different licenses be applied concurrently?

If 1) is possible:

1. Do I need to install a 2nd FME Engine component (i.e. run the FME Server Installer and select FME Engine only)? Or can I just simply upload the license file via the Web App (via System Configuration > Licensing > Upload License File) then increment the number of engines (via Engine Management > Engines)?

1. Other than 2 different licenses potentially having 2 different expiry dates, are there other implications that may need to be considered?

We are running 1x FME Server Instance hosted on a Windows Server.

Please let me know if there are any additional installation steps I need to follow to add another engine, or if you require any further information.

Thank you

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Is the serial number (license key) the same? In that case it should now unlock a second engine and should supercede the existing license. The fact that this upgrade was purchased through another partner has nothing to do with it. That also means it's only for an additional engine on an existing FME Server, rather than a second installation.

If that's the case you can simply upload the new license file and then increase the number of engines.

Badge

Is the serial number (license key) the same? In that case it should now unlock a second engine and should supercede the existing license. The fact that this upgrade was purchased through another partner has nothing to do with it. That also means it's only for an additional engine on an existing FME Server, rather than a second installation.

If that's the case you can simply upload the new license file and then increase the number of engines.

Thank you for your speedy response.

The serial numbers are different. If we upload the second license file, will this give us 2 engines?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thank you for your speedy response.

The serial numbers are different. If we upload the second license file, will this give us 2 engines?

No, that will probably not give you two engines (unless the order was for an FME Server with 2 engines).

At this point I think it's best to talk to your client and see what exactly they had in mind in terms of architecture.

Badge

Ok, thank you for your help