Solved

Convert DWG to FGDB with dynamic writing - how to preserve stylings?

• 8 May 2023
  • 2 replies

I have an DWG file which I convert into an FGDB file by using an FGDB writer with a Dynamic Schema Definition:

imageThe DWG file contains different types of geometries on single layers, e.g. polygons, lines, and points.

In combination with the dynamic feature writing to FGDB, this results in that after the run, I have more layers/feature classes in my FGDB than in the original DWG file.

For example, if I had a layer "XYZ" in the DWG file which contained polygons, lines, and points, in the resulting FGDB file, there are the feature classes "XYZ_polygons", "XYZ_lines", and "XYZ_points".

So far so good, this is expected and totally fine.

My problem is the following: How can I preserve the stylings of the features?

For example, in the DWG file, there are some green areas:

imageIn the DWG, the green fill color is defined on layer level.

During the translation, FME correctly picks up the color and also recognizes it has been defined on layer level:

imageHowever, when I import the relevant feature classes from the created FGDB into ArcGIS Pro, it looks like this:

imageArcGIS Pro simply assigns random colors to the feature classes. Apparently, no styling information has been stored for the feature classes.

Is there any way to preserve the features' stylings? I looked into the parameters of the FGDB writer, but could not find any option which seems to be fitting for solving my problem.

icon

Best answer by egge 8 May 2023, 11:18

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Traditionally, in GIS data and styling are stored separately. So, yes, if you convert an AutoCAD drawing to a database, in this case a File Geodatabase, your styling will be "lost". The solution is to Symbolize your feature layers in ArcGIS Pro and to store this styling in your project.

Traditionally, in GIS data and styling are stored separately. So, yes, if you convert an AutoCAD drawing to a database, in this case a File Geodatabase, your styling will be "lost". The solution is to Symbolize your feature layers in ArcGIS Pro and to store this styling in your project.

Hi @egge​, thank you for your response (and sorry for my late response).

Since I have pretty large files with many different layers, I hoped there would be some solution FME might offer out of the box.

To automate this task, I let FME write the styling information to a file. Then, I use an arcpy script to read from that file and symbolize the layers accordingly - the result is acceptable.

Thanks for pointing out to solve it via symbolization!