Question

Struggling to open JP2 files in FME workbench 2022.2, Build 22789 - WIN64. Anyone else having this problem?

Badge

Hi, I'm using FME workbench 2022.2, Build 22789 - WIN64. I'm trying to process several thousand JP2 files.

I'm finding that trying to open just one JP2 file (~1.5GB) in the inspector doesn't seem to work ... by that I mean I stop the process after waiting about 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for help!

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@stuarto2023​ are you struggling to read the file in, or just when viewing the file in the Data Inspector window? With a 1.5GB JP2 file I expect that the data inspector may take a bit longer to render the image, but when processing the file through the workspace I would expect it to work okay. Clipping the JP2 file for only the area you want to see or using a RasterResampler to reduce the resolution of the image may help. Is there a workspace you are trying to run the JP2 file through that fails?

Badge

Hi @danminneyatsafe, reading a file does not seem to be an issue. I timed reading in 1 file (~1.5GB) and it took about 25 seconds. Initially I wanted to resample all of my images so I could generate a kind of low resolution preview of the data before deciding on what I'd do with it next. I waited about 5 hours for 1 image to be resampled but it never finished so I ended up cancelling the process.

After attempting to process multiple images I decided to try just the one. I thought that the simplest process I could perform would be to send 1 JP2 file from the reader to an inspector and I ended up cancelling that process to after waiting about 30 minutes. No warnings or errors show up in the log either.

I should add that I can process the image(s) through the RasterExtentsCoercer. This seems to be the only transformer that will produce an output.

The only other tool I have that will process JP2 files in a reasonable amount of time is ArcMap. ArcMap will either resample or export to a different format in about 5-10 minutes. I would much rather be doing this processing through the FME workbench.

Thanks for the help so far!

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@stuarto2023​ Is this a public JP2 file you would be able to share with us? With access to the file I'll be able to provide better troubleshooting suggestions that I've tested myself rather than suggesting ideas that may or may not work. If you'd like to share the file with us, you can do so through our Support FTP: https://community.safe.com/s/article/upload-a-file-to-the-safe-software-support-ftp

As a side note, I am aware that we are looking to improve the rendering performance of rasters in the Data Inspector / Visual Preview window, so I wouldn't be surprised if these two are related.

Badge

@stuarto2023​ Is this a public JP2 file you would be able to share with us? With access to the file I'll be able to provide better troubleshooting suggestions that I've tested myself rather than suggesting ideas that may or may not work. If you'd like to share the file with us, you can do so through our Support FTP: https://community.safe.com/s/article/upload-a-file-to-the-safe-software-support-ftp

As a side note, I am aware that we are looking to improve the rendering performance of rasters in the Data Inspector / Visual Preview window, so I wouldn't be surprised if these two are related.

@danminneyatsaf​ I've been given the all clear to provide a sample image. However we would prefer to use our sftp rather than Safe's ftp. Will this work for you?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@danminneyatsaf​ I've been given the all clear to provide a sample image. However we would prefer to use our sftp rather than Safe's ftp. Will this work for you?

This works for us. If you'd rather share the SFTP information with us privately I can create a support case for you to continue the conversation.

Badge

Can you provide me with an email address to send the SFTP link to please.

Thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@stuarto2023​ you can send it to dan.minney@safe.com. Thanks!

Badge

Link has been sent!