Question

How do i use the Geodatabase_SDE Writer? (It's greyed out)

• 4 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am trying to use the Geodatabase_SDE writer to publish some content on Workbench to our Enterprise Geodatabase environment. However, when i add the writer to my workbench and browse the list, i find that the Geodatabase_SDE writer is greyed out and there is a popup that indicates i do not have sufficient licensing. For reference i have an ArcGIS Advance License that i use on the daily, and both FME and ArcGIS are using the same License Server. The message doesn't specify if i am missing the ArcGIS or FME licensing to use this writer. Any help is appreciated so that i can move in the direction of progress. *I am not our ESRI software Admin, but want to make sure that when i reach out i don't slap myself on the forehead because it was something i missed.Capture

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi @lukeg199​, can you please ensure that your FME and ArcGIS licenses are the same bit version (ie both are 32-bit or both are 64-bit)? If they're different bit versions they won't be able to work together. This article highlights some more troubleshooting tips.

Badge

Well, after a lot of research, i finally determined that to use the SDE writers, FME ESRI edition, not professional edition, is a requirement. Found this on a polish reseller site. It would be great if this information was more transparent and accessible. In coordinating with our IT Admin, we will be waiting to upgrade to the latest FME23 when it is released.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Well, after a lot of research, i finally determined that to use the SDE writers, FME ESRI edition, not professional edition, is a requirement. Found this on a polish reseller site. It would be great if this information was more transparent and accessible. In coordinating with our IT Admin, we will be waiting to upgrade to the latest FME23 when it is released.

@lukeg199​ Apologies that the information wasn't easier to find. For future reference, I recommend taking a look at the FME Format Matrix. It provides a list of all supported applications and formats, as well as their licensing and compatibility requirements.