Question

Bug: Transformer dropdown list not working when using other apps (e.g. zooming on a pdf in Adobe Acrobat)

Badge +8

I have a FME workbench open. Then I open a pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader, and zoom in. Then I return to my FME script, I can not add any transformer to my script anymore. There is only a tiny box instead of the usual dropdown list. It is a bug. I tested it several times to make sure it is an issue. I am using FME 2022.1.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@katt​ I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself. What build of FME 2022.1 are you using? You can find this information by going to Help (in the FME Workbench toolbar) > About FME Workbench.

Does this issue cause FME to crash or you are just unable to add any transformers to your workbench?

Badge +3

Hi there,

I just noticed this as well, also on FME 2022.1. Build 22623 Windows. I recently started using a monitor with my laptop, and my resolution is 2560 x 1440 at 100% scale.

I have Workbench open where I am able to use the Quick Add normally. Then if I open Adobe Acrobat Reader 2020 and go back to use the Quick Add it appears as a tiny box and you can't see the list of transformers. If I simply type out the transformer name and hit enter it still adds the transformer to the canvas. This is what the tiny box looks like:

tiny boxWhen the tiny box appears for the first time, the translation log window logs this message:

Using Python interpreter from `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython39\\python39.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython39'

Python version 3.9 loaded successfully

I have closed all instances of Adobe Acrobat Reader and FME Workbench, but I am still running into the issue now after I reopen Workbench and try to add a transformer the second time. Is there a way to avoid this issue?

Thanks

Badge +8

@katt​ I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself. What build of FME 2022.1 are you using? You can find this information by going to Help (in the FME Workbench toolbar) > About FME Workbench.

Does this issue cause FME to crash or you are just unable to add any transformers to your workbench?

@danminneyatsaf​ I am using Build 22623-win 64. The script is not crashing but I cannot add transformers anymore. My workaround for now is to close the workbench and reopen the app. Then it will work normally till I return to my pdf on Adobe, especially when I zoom in on a pdf and return to my FME script. Then it won't work anymore again. Btw I am using my laptop and a monitor connected to it. I also have that tiny box like Dhavan instead of the usual drop down list of transformers. You can not add a transformer with the tiny box.

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ It figured out it is not only Adobe Acrobat. If I open a new workbench, the dropdown list of transformers is there. But I don't add any transformer right away. Then I will use google chrome for a bit and return to my FME workbench, the drop down list won't be there anymore, but only the tiny box as Dhavan described. So no way to add any transformers anymore. I have to close and reopen the app in order to solve the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@danminneyatsaf​ It figured out it is not only Adobe Acrobat. If I open a new workbench, the dropdown list of transformers is there. But I don't add any transformer right away. Then I will use google chrome for a bit and return to my FME workbench, the drop down list won't be there anymore, but only the tiny box as Dhavan described. So no way to add any transformers anymore. I have to close and reopen the app in order to solve the issue.

@katt​ I highly recommend downloading the latest FME 2023.0 beta and testing if the issue still occurs. We've made some changes to the libraries we use for the FME Workbench GUI that may have resolved this issue by now.

I don't see any outstanding or previous issues related to what you're seeing. Would you be able to provide additional information on your operating system and if you're running on a virtual machine? Thanks

Badge +8

@katt​ I highly recommend downloading the latest FME 2023.0 beta and testing if the issue still occurs. We've made some changes to the libraries we use for the FME Workbench GUI that may have resolved this issue by now.

I don't see any outstanding or previous issues related to what you're seeing. Would you be able to provide additional information on your operating system and if you're running on a virtual machine? Thanks

Hello @danminneyatsaf​  I have a Dell laptop 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz  1.90 GHz, using Windows 10 Enterprise. I am not using a VM. As I am working in a big company, I cannot use any newer versions to run our scripts as the upgrades are always managed by another team.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@katt​ do you find the issue occurs when you use key-board or trackpad shortcuts to move between windows (for example: alt+tab), or just when you're using your mouse to change between windows?

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ I use my mouse when changing between windows.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@katt​ when the issue occurs, do you see any errors or warnings logged in the Windows Event Viewer? Do you see any issues that mention "Qt" ?

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ I checked my events viewer but I couldn't find any QT issues.

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ Do you have any update on my case? If it happens ctrl + c and ctrl + v is not working either. It is very annoying if I need to have a pdf open while working on a FME script. I can not close and reopen the script all the time (which is my usual workaround).

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@danminneyatsaf​ Do you have any update on my case? If it happens ctrl + c and ctrl + v is not working either. It is very annoying if I need to have a pdf open while working on a FME script. I can not close and reopen the script all the time (which is my usual workaround).

Hi @katt​ thanks for pinging me. Unfortunately after many attempts I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet. Without the ability to reproduce the issue on one of our machines we can't pin point the cause of the issue.

Our beta release of FME 2023.1 contains updated QT libraries (which controls things such as the User Interface). Unless you're able to update to a newer version of FME, it will be difficult to resolve the problem.

One thing you could try is resetting the registry keys for FME.

To do so, open the Registry Editor and navigate to Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\ and delete the registry key/folder called Safe Software Inc.

When you start up FME next, these registry keys will be regenerated.

Let me know how that goes!

Dan