Question

Changing python interpreter is not taken into account in FME (Dekstop and Server)

• 2 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm using FME Version 2022.2, build 22782.

We try to use PythonCaller in a FME worklow, this PythonCaller need to use lib with Python 3.7 compatibility. We change the Python Compatibility in Navigator>Scripting>Python Compatiblity to Python 3.7+ and we change in Tools>FME Options>Translation>Python Interpreter>Preferred Python Interpreter to FME Python 3.7+ without success.

Indeed in the Translation Log we always have this message : Python version 3.10 loaded successfully

A workaround is to use the 3.7 dll of the Anaconda installation directly on machines running FME 2022.2.

However, isn't there a way to force the use of the Python interpreter, for python 3.7?

We try to force the Python interpreter by using the print() in Startup Python scripting (see https://community.safe.com/s/article/changes-to-python-interpreter-loading-behaviour-in) but not working.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Julian.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

@julianshom​ 

This is expected behaviour. In general, FME only includes the Python interpreter for the latest supported Python version with the install, eg. Python 3.10 in FME 2022.2, Python 3.8 in FME 2021.2, etc.

FME ships Python libraries for older supported versions such as Python 3.6-3.9 (in 2022.2) that is used within the product but does not include a Python interpreter.

If you wish to use a Python 3.7 interpreter within FME, you must install a custom Python interpreter and point FME to use the custom Python interpreter, as you have found.

I hope this information helps!

@julianshom​ 

This is expected behaviour. In general, FME only includes the Python interpreter for the latest supported Python version with the install, eg. Python 3.10 in FME 2022.2, Python 3.8 in FME 2021.2, etc.

FME ships Python libraries for older supported versions such as Python 3.6-3.9 (in 2022.2) that is used within the product but does not include a Python interpreter.

If you wish to use a Python 3.7 interpreter within FME, you must install a custom Python interpreter and point FME to use the custom Python interpreter, as you have found.

I hope this information helps!

@debbiatsafe​ very good thank you for this information I understand better the notion of compatibility. The solution we have in place is the normal solution. Have a nice day!